An interview by Jason Knauf, who worked at Kensington Palace, for both the Prince and Princess of Wales as well as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, has been condemned
An interview given by a former royal aide who was at the centre of the Meghan Markle bullying allegations has been described as a “clear dig” at Prince Harry.
Jason Knauf, who previously worked at Kensington Palace for Harry and Meghan, lauded the couple and their “lovely family” in the new interview. It comes, though, after he had said Meghan “bullied” two PAs out of the royal household in the past.
The former aide’s contrasting opinions in the chat, broadcast on Australian TV, has divided opinion among royal experts this week, particularly as Mr Knauf also praised Prince William. He used to work for Prince William and Princess Kate as their communications secretary.
Alluding to the interview, journalist Amanda Platell wrote: “Was this a clear dig at Harry who went on the make millions out of his alleged grievances against the royals and the appalling way they had treated his ‘suicidal’ wife? A wife who pleaded ‘not just to survive but thrive’?”
The journalist, who was press secretary to William Hague, the then leader of the British Conservative Party between 1999 and 2001, offered her scathing critique in Wednesday’s Daily Mail.
The Prince and Princess of Wales were praised in the interview (
Image:
PA)
Today’s piece questions whether the interview was a ‘clear dig’ aimed at Harry (
Image:
PA)
It explores Mr Knauf’s complimentary remarks about William, for whom Mr Knauf worked until 2021, saying of the terrible breakdown of his relationship with Harry that William was both “hard and sad”.
Meanwhile, the Duchess of Sussex’s new lifestyle series With Love, Meghan is out on Netflix next week. It barely mentions Prince Harry, whose recent programme POLO received poor reviews.
Sources who’ve been given a preview of With Love, Meghan – likely to be the final project in Meghan and Harry’s $100million (£80million) deal with Netflix – say it continues with what is seen as the couple’s “brand separation”.
Meghan and Harry admitted in November they are at a “crossroads” with their work and insiders say With Love, Meghan – a “how-to” guide to entertain – further reinforces this. Harry, nor either of the couple’s children Archie and Lilibet, are hardly mentioned or seen in Meghan’s latest series. A source said: “Harry isn’t in it. It’s all her, and all about her. It’s very watchable.”