Prince Harry blow as bombshell ruling means Duke must release Visa files in days

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle moved to California in 2020 after they stepped back from their roles as senior members of the Royal Family

A US judge has issued a major update in Prince Harry’s visa row, stating files must be made public by next week.

Judge Carl Nichols gave a deadline of Tuesday, March 18 to release the files that will show whether the prince’s immigration paperwork is in order. The judge also approved redactions that suggested the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), adding they were “appropriate.”

It is not clear at this stage what information would be released, although DHS lawyers previously said three items would be released with redactions, but that a fourth must be kept private. The right-wing Heritage Foundation sued the DHS last year following the agency’s decision to deny a freedom of information request for the Duke’s documents.

A photo of Harry and Meghan
The Heritage Foundation pressed for the release of Harry’s documents 
Image:
AFP via Getty Images)
The think tank has argued that Harry either received special treatment from the Biden administration or had lied on his immigration forms. In his memoir, Spare, as well as his Netflix TV series Harry said he had previously used cannabis, cocaine and magic mushrooms.

In his order, Judge Nichols, who had been appointed by US President Donald Trump, added: “The government has provided the court with its proposed redactions to the documents…those redactions appearing appropriate, the government is ORDERED to lodge on the docket the redacted versions of those documents no later than March 18, 2025.”

The case has been embarrassing for Harry who had been quizzed on whether he could be deported if he was found to have lied. But Mr Trump recently said Harry would not be ordered out of the country while also taking a swipe at his wife Meghan Markle, who he branded “terrible”.

A photo of Harry and Meghan
Harry and Meghan moved to the US in 2020 
Image:
AFP via Getty Images)
Judge Nichols previously refused a request from the Heritage foundation to release all the documents, saying he had a right to privacy. But, he later reconsidered during a fresh hearing, saying he wanted to reveal as much as possible.

He said during a previously hearing: “In my view that has to happen”. The judge added he wanted to make the “maximum amount” of material public as possible. He did not want to reveal the prince’s immigration status, meaning there could be heavy redactions in some areas.

Nile Gardiner, the director of the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at Heritage, appealed to the US president to make the files public. He added the president put “border security and the application of the rule of law a top priority”.

A photo of Prince Harry at an event
Prince Harry has been open about his drug use in the past 
Image:
AFP via Getty Images)
Prince Harry has been open about his past drug use and said that cannabis helped heal his trauma following the public death of his mum, Princess Diana

The DHS wrote: “Even though he is a public figure, Prince Harry still maintains a privacy interest in these types of records and in his immigration or visa status generally. Even if public figures may have a diminished expectation of privacy, they do not surrender their privacy interests entirely.”

But the DHS said Heritage merely “recounted a litany of allegedly suspicious circumstances that lack any substantiation.” The DHS dismissed the Heritage Foundation’s claims as a “bare suspicion of government misconduct” and that making the prince’s paperwork public would not shed “meaningful light” on its functions.

The Mirror has contacted Harry and Meghan’s Archewell Foundation for comment.

Related Posts

Christine Lampard Stuns Fans With a Major Happy Announcement Alongside Husband Frank Lampard!D

ITV presenter Christine Lampard has delighted fans after revealing she is expecting her third child with husband Frank Lampard. The Loose Women star shared the exciting family news with a glowing smile and a…

Alex Jones of The One Show fights back tears as husband Charlie Thomson makes a surprise live TV appearance, bringing flowers and embracing her on her special night

Alex Jones was left emotional on Friday night when her husband Charlie Thomson made a surprise live appearance on The One Show to celebrate her remarkable 15 years as…

“I CAN’T SEE THE WORLD I ONCE PERFORMED FOR…” — Dame Judi Dench’s Devastating Revelation Has Left Britain In Tears, As The Beloved Icon Confirms She Is Now Completely Blind, Unable To Watch Theatre, Film, Or Even The Shows That Built Her Legendary Career. With A Trembling Voice, She Whispered: “I Miss The Light… I Miss The Stage… But I’m Trying To Be Brave.” Those Heart-Shattering Words Have Sent Shockwaves Across The Nation — Fans Calling It “A Loss Too Painful To Bear,” Co-Stars Describing Her As “The Soul Of British Storytelling.” Even As Her World Fades To Darkness, Judi Fights To Stay Strong, Saying: “I’ll Keep Going… I Must. There’s Still Love, Even If I Can’t See It.” A Nation Mourns, A Legend Endures — And Her Courage Is Lighting Up Hearts Everywhere.

Britain’s acting legend Dame Judi Dench has shared a deeply moving update about her eyesight, revealing she’s now unable to see the stage or television — not…

“THEY CAN CALL ME RADICAL — BUT I’M DONE STAYING SILENT!” Joanna Lumley’s Fiery On-Air Outburst Leaves Britain Stunned

Joanna Lumley has never been one to stay silent — but her latest comments have ignited one of the most explosive national debates of the year. The…

In a rare, story-inspired glimpse behind the gates of Windsor’s Forest Lodge, Prince William offers a look at the place he and Catherine now call their “forever sanctuary.” Far from ceremony and cameras, this imagined home feels serene, intimate, and filled with the soft design touches Catherine is known for — hand-printed fabrics, gentle colors, and rooms created for calm, comfort, and quiet family moments. There’s a warmth in every corner… the kind that speaks of healing, new beginnings, and the private life the world never sees. And the spaces meant for the children? Thoughtful, tender, and surprisingly personal — the kind that make you forget you’re inside a royal residence at all. But it was one simple detail William revealed in this story-style moment — something small, unexpected, and deeply meaningful — that left royal watchers completely stunned. It wasn’t grand, it wasn’t staged… but its emotional impact is unforgettable

Inside Windsor’s Forest Lodge: A Fiction-Inspired Look at William and Catherine’s Private Sanctuary This article is a creative, story-style imagining inspired by themes of family, healing, and…

“They Turned Britain Into A Place My Fallen Friends Wouldn’t Even Recognise…” A 100-Year-Old WWII Hero Has Delivered A Shattering, Tear-Soaked Warning That Has Left Millions Reeling — A Moment So Raw, So Furious, So Heartbreaking, It Has Been Called “The Most Powerful Plea Of A Dying Generation.” With His Medals Shaking In His Hands, The Veteran Looked Straight Into The Camera And Roared: “They Mock Us, They Forget Us — But They Will NEVER Erase Our Sacrifice!” His Voice Broke As Decades Of Buried Grief Crashed To The Surface: “My Brothers Didn’t Come Home… And For WHAT? This Broken Britain? This Country That No Longer Cares?”

Breaking News:WW2 hero, 100, tears into Labour’s broken Britain: ‘It’s not a nice place anymore!’ The D-Day warrior says Britain is now unrecognisable to him (Image: Ian Vogler…