Exclusive: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ‘odd’ move for Archie and Lilibet as they look to future

It has been exactly two years since it was revealed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s children Archie and Lilibet had been given royal titles despite their parents previously railing against royal life

Meghan Markle is facing a crunch week with the release of one of her biggest projects.

On Tuesday, her make-or-break Netflix show With Love, Meghan will hit screens – and it promises to see her share tips and tricks when it comes to cooking and hosting. No doubt, she will be relying on the support of Prince Harry and her family as viewers finally get to see the eagerly-anticipated show.

It comes as Meghan also prepares for the launch of her lifestyle brand As Ever, which she has been promoting on her new Instagram account. And in many of her videos, she’s had the help of her children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, whether it be while making Valentine’s Day treats or watering the garden.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with their children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with their children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet 
Image:
ARCHWELL)
This week is also significant for the youngsters as it will mark two years since it was revealed that the children had been given royal titles. Archie and Lilibet automatically became a prince and princess upon their grandfather’s King Charles accession in September 2022.

But it was several months later, in March 2023, after Lilibet’s christening, that Harry and Meghan confirmed that the youngsters were now prince and princess as they announced their daughter as Princess Lilibet. The couple were keen not to deny them their birthright, but the move raised eyebrows, especially as the Sussexes had railed against royal life in several bombshell interviews since quitting the Firm.

Royal expert Jennie Bond told the Mirror that several years on, it does still seem a ‘odd’ move. The former BBC royal correspondent explained: “I can understand Harry and Meghan wanting their children to have their birthright, even though they have turned their backs on life in the UK.

Edward and Sophie, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, with their children Louise and James
Edward and Sophie, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, with their children Louise and James 
Image:
Getty Images)
“What I find rather odd is their public use of these titles while the children are so young – and so estranged from their family and heritage. Both Harry and Meghan have made it clear that they found royal life deeply uncomfortable, so it’s hard to think they would ever want it for their children. But they are probably right to keep all options open for them.”

Jennie compares the youngsters to the children of Edward and Sophie, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, with their titles left up to them on whether they will use them. Jennie added: “I think it might have been better for them to keep the titles private as Edward and Sophie kept their children’s HRH status private until and unless the children decide to use them.

“There’s no doubt that a royal title carries a good deal of kudos, especially in the States, and has a commercial and social value. So they are protecting their children’s interests – even if it does seem a touch cynical.”

It comes as Harry is known to be extremely protective over his children – and both he and Meghan have said in the past that they want to keep them out of the spotlight. Last year, a friend of the Sussexes told People how Harry wanted to protect his children by keeping them out of the limelight. They said: “Harry has been reluctant to show his children publicly, not out of a desire to hide them but to protect their privacy and safety from potential threats.

“He wants them to lead as normal a life as possible without the fear of kidnapping or harm.” The friend added: “Harry is determined to ensure that history doesn’t repeat itself,” referring to the death of Princess Diana.

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…