Donald Trump ‘will be invited to stay with King Charles at Balmoral’ during state visit

A government source has claimed that when Keir Starmer travels to the US this week, he might invite Donald Trump to the UK – and the US president could stay at Balmoral Castle

Donald Trump will be invited to stay with King Charles at Balmoral when Keir Starmer travels to the US this week, according to reports.

The US president has already been hosted at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle in the past – and a stay at Balmoral could be “the obvious choice” due to Trump’s Scottish heritage and the fact he has a golf course nearby, a government source has claimed. The castle, in Aberdeenshire, is where the monarch usually spends the summer, often joined by the extended Royal Family.

The PM also typically visits the residence. Only one previous US president, Dwight D. Eisenhower, visited the Scottish castle in the past, when he stopped in to see Queen Elizabeth II alongside former Prime Minister Harold MacMillan in August 1959.

Balmoral Castle
The monarch usually stays at Balmoral Castle over the summer 
Image:
Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty Images)
The claim that Trump may be invited to Balmoral was reported by The Sun this evening, with the newspaper mentioning political and royal sources who said the unique offer could be made in days. A Downing Street source said an invitation to a state visit would be communicated by the PM once he arrives at the Oval Office on Thursday to hold talks with Trump.

A Whitehall insider claimed: “He’s already been to Windsor and Buckingham Palace, so Balmoral is being talked about. Everyone knows he loves Scotland and it’s near his golf course.” The Mirror has contacted Buckingham Palace for comment.

It comes after the Mirror reported that the King and Queen are to be deployed on their biggest royal tour yet – a “charm offensive” in the USA. Charles and Camilla are expected to head to America and Canada, in a jaunt our government hopes will help diplomatic relations with Trump. The royals will first be deployed to Canada, Charles’ first visit to the British realm as monarch, before being welcomed to the US by President Trump.

Next year is also the 250th anniversary of American Independence, which will be celebrated across the nation on July 4, 2026. Sources close to the planning say discussions between governments have already begun, with an official invitation from Washington expected imminently.

The Mirror understands both North American tours will be agreed for the first half of next year, most likely the Spring. In line with the King’s continued cancer treatment, a US visit by the Prince and Princess of Wales has been earmarked as a contingency, although it is the preference to host Their Majesties, sources said.

It will be the first time a British monarch has visited the United States since 2007, the last of five royal tours the late Queen Elizabeth undertook. As Prince of Wales, Charles undertook more than 20 official visits to the US. The King’s most senior aides will be key to developing the framework for the highly anticipated trip.

Buckingham Palace is understood to be “overwhelmingly keen” on the tour and is committed to working with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) for the plans, sources suggest. A government source said: “This will undoubtedly be the biggest tour of the King’s reign so far, a huge undertaking for a British monarch to be hosted in the United States.

“Americans love the British Royal Family and it is a great opportunity for both sides to reaffirm the special relationship in such an important and historic year for the US. The King has been especially keen to travel to Canada, a country and people he holds so much affection for, it will be a charm offensive on both sides.”

However, the Palace remained tight-lipped over the royal tour plans, with one palace source remarking: “There are no current dates in the diary for Their Majesties to tour either Canada or the USA, or active Palace planning taking place for either option.”

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…