Doctor Who makes Ncuti Gatwa announcement on star’s future as BBC responds to exit claims

 

The BBC has shared a statement with The Mirror in response to recent rumours that Doctor Who star Ncuti Gatwa had been ‘axed’ from the long-running hit sci-fi series

Ncuti Gatwa

Ncuti Gatwa was rumoured to have left Doctor Who – but the BBC has denied these reports (
Image: BBC Studios/Lara Cornell)

The BBC has addressed rumours that Ncuti Gatwa has been ‘axed’ from Doctor Who, with the broadcaster sharing a statement regarding the star’s future on the show. It comes after recent reports that Ncuti Gatwa would be leaving the show after two series after the star pulled out of announcing the UK’s jury scores at last weekend’s Eurovision Song Contest.

A BBC spokesperson told The Mirror that Ncuti had not been ‘axed’ from the show. They said: “Whilst we never comment on the future of the Doctor, any suggestion that Ncuti Gatwa has been ‘axed’ is pure fiction.” As for whether the series will continue, the BBC explained: “As we have previously stated, the decision on season 3 will be made after season 2 airs and any other claims are just pure speculation. The deal with Disney+ was for 26 episodes – and we still have an entire spin off, The War Between the Land and the Sea, to air. And as for the rest, we never comment on the Doctor and future storylines.”

Ncuti plays Doctor Who
Ncuti is into his second series as The Doctor on the hit BBC show 
Image:
CREDIT LINE:BBC Studios/Bad Wolf/Dan Fearon)

Earlier this week, a TV insider told The Sun that Doctor Who bosses were “incredibly disappointed” after Ncuti backed out of his Eurovision role. “His withdrawal was incredibly embarrassing. It caps what has been a largely depressing tenure in the Tardis for Ncuti,” they said.

Last weekend, the BBC announced that Ncuti Gatwa would be stepping down from his role as the UK’s Eurovision 2025 spokesperson due to “unforeseen circumstances”. Instead, pop star and BBC presenter Sophie Ellis-Bextor was brought in to take his place for the Grand Final on Saturday.

She gushed: “I love Eurovision and it’s a privilege to be part of 2025’s Grand Final. What an honour it is to announce the UK’s jury score on such a special show which always puts music front and centre. I am very much looking forward to delivering the iconic douze points from the United Kingdom!”

Fans quickly took to social media to speculate over why Ncuti stepped down from the gig, with some suggesting that it could be over Israel’s participation in the final. The Doctor Who star has been vocal in his support for Palestine on Instagram.

One person wrote on social media: “THAT’s backing up your morals. #FreePalestine.” While a pro-Palestine account said: “Israel qualified to the Eurovision final at 22:16 last night. Then at 22:18, just two minutes later, the BBC announced Ncuti Gatwa cancelling his appearance on Eurovision for ‘unforseen circumstances’. We see you Ncuti; we see you and we like you a lot.”

 

Related Posts

H0T UPDATE: Fans are flooding in to say THIS to Strictly star AMY DOWDEN just moments after she underwent her second major surgery and was taken back to her hospital room! The doctor’s seven-word verdict left Amy and her family in tears — but this time, they weren’t TEARS OF SADNESS, they were…

H0T UPDATE: Fans are flooding in to say THIS to Strictly star AMY DOWDEN just moments after she underwent her second major surgery and was taken back…

SAD NEWS: Martin Kemp BREAKS DOWN in TEARS over HEARTBREAKING CONFESSION about son Roman.k

SAD NEWS: Martin Kemp BREAKS DOWN in TEARS over HEARTBREAKING CONFESSION about son Roman.k Spandau Ballet star Martin Kemp is the proud father to daughter Harley and…

SAD NEWS: The One Show DESCENDS INTO SHOCK as Alex Jones Suddenly STOPS the Broadcast to Deliver Heartbreaking News of star’s de@th, Leaving Viewers in Tears.K

SAD NEWS: The One Show DESCENDS INTO SHOCK as Alex Jones Suddenly STOPS the Broadcast to Deliver Heartbreaking News of star’s de@th, Leaving Viewers in Tears.K The…

💥 “No One Dared Speak Like This Before!” Joanna Lumley and Rylan Clark left Britain stunned after an unfiltered, emotionally charged live TV exchange that had viewers cheering and crying in equal measure. 😱 Their words cut deep — raw, fearless, and impossible to ignore. Lumley declared, “We can’t stay silent while the world spins blind,” while Rylan, holding back tears, added, “Someone had to say it, even if it costs everything.” 💔 Within minutes, social media exploded — praise, outrage, and disbelief flooding the internet as millions replayed the moment that shook the nation. 🌪️

💥 “No One Dared Speak Like This Before!” Joanna Lumley and Rylan Clark left Britain stunned after an unfiltered, emotionally charged live TV exchange that had viewers…

Bradley Walsh’s SHOCKED reaction after wife Donna caught kissing another man – but what he did NEXT left everyone speechless.k

Bradley Walsh’s SHOCKED reaction after wife Donna caught kissing another man – but what he did NEXT left everyone speechless.k Bradley Walsh’s ‘apology’ from The Chase guest…

I CAN DEFEND HIM! — said the poor 8-year-old girl after the lawyer abandoned the young millionaire

They called him guilty. She called him innocent. And what happened next? Nobody in that courtroom saw coming. Mr. Green, your client needs you to say something….