Amanda Abbington in tears as she opens up on ‘hardest year of her life’ after Strictly

Amanda Abbington said she has no “regrets” over the past year, which she admitted has been the hardest, after she quit Strictly Come Dancing and subsequently accused her professional partner, Giovanni Pernice, of bullying

Amanda Abbington has admitted the last year has been “tricky” but she has no regrets amid the Strictly Come Dancing scandal. The actress quit the BBC show in 2023 before accusing her professional partner, Giovanni Pernice, of bullying during rehearsals.

The BBC ended up apologising to Amanda after upholding some of her less serious claims against the dancer, who has since quit the show. However, the actress insists she has no regrets about the past few months.

During an appearance on This Morning today with hosts Cat Deeley and Ben Shephard, they chatted about her new stage show. However, the interview didn’t end without a mention of the tough few months she has had.

In a new interview on This Morning today, Amanda got emotional as she said: “It’s been tricky. I don’t want to go over old ground. I don’t regret what happened. It’s time to move on – it was one of the hardest years of my life.”

Amanda spoke with Ben and Cat on This Morning today
Amanda spoke with Ben and Cat on This Morning today

Amanda also discussed her plans to postpone her wedding to Jonathan Goodwin, the Britain’s Got Talent star. Before meeting Jonathan, Amanda was married to actor Martin Freeman, who she starred with in BBC show Sherlock.

“We just want to get this year out of the way. we still have things hanging over us in terms of litigation. We want to get this year out of the way,” she said of their plans to postpone their big day to 2026.

With the allegations Amanda made about Giovanni, the BBC investigated and upheld some of the complaints including Giovanni’s use of swear words and belittling language. At the time, commenting on the conclusion, Amanda said: “As the BBC has indicated today in its statement, my decision to come forward and complain about Giovanni Pernice’s conduct towards me was not an easy thing to do.

“In the days, weeks and months since I contacted the BBC, I’ve been accused of being a liar, a troublemaker and of being ‘mad and unstable’. I’ve also received rape and murder threats and a bomb threat was sent to my place of work.”

Amanda and Giovanni were partnered together on the show
Amanda and Giovanni were partnered together on the show

She added: “My family and children have also been subjected to threats and intimidation. Despite this vile abuse, I’ve never regretted coming forward, and today’s apology from the BBC is a vindication of my complaint.”

Over the weekend, Amanda did a lengthy interview where she admitted she was worried people didn’t like her anymore, but was left feeling positive about the future. Speaking about being the villain, she said: “I was made out to be the villain. I don’t know what the industry thinks of me at the moment. I’ve been immersed in the aftermath of it all for a year. I don’t know whether I’ve been cancelled or whether people don’t like me any more, but I know I did what I did for the right reasons. I feel good about the future.”

Related Posts

Christine Lampard Stuns Fans With a Major Happy Announcement Alongside Husband Frank Lampard!D

ITV presenter Christine Lampard has delighted fans after revealing she is expecting her third child with husband Frank Lampard. The Loose Women star shared the exciting family news with a glowing smile and a…

Alex Jones of The One Show fights back tears as husband Charlie Thomson makes a surprise live TV appearance, bringing flowers and embracing her on her special night

Alex Jones was left emotional on Friday night when her husband Charlie Thomson made a surprise live appearance on The One Show to celebrate her remarkable 15 years as…

“I CAN’T SEE THE WORLD I ONCE PERFORMED FOR…” — Dame Judi Dench’s Devastating Revelation Has Left Britain In Tears, As The Beloved Icon Confirms She Is Now Completely Blind, Unable To Watch Theatre, Film, Or Even The Shows That Built Her Legendary Career. With A Trembling Voice, She Whispered: “I Miss The Light… I Miss The Stage… But I’m Trying To Be Brave.” Those Heart-Shattering Words Have Sent Shockwaves Across The Nation — Fans Calling It “A Loss Too Painful To Bear,” Co-Stars Describing Her As “The Soul Of British Storytelling.” Even As Her World Fades To Darkness, Judi Fights To Stay Strong, Saying: “I’ll Keep Going… I Must. There’s Still Love, Even If I Can’t See It.” A Nation Mourns, A Legend Endures — And Her Courage Is Lighting Up Hearts Everywhere.

Britain’s acting legend Dame Judi Dench has shared a deeply moving update about her eyesight, revealing she’s now unable to see the stage or television — not…

“THEY CAN CALL ME RADICAL — BUT I’M DONE STAYING SILENT!” Joanna Lumley’s Fiery On-Air Outburst Leaves Britain Stunned

Joanna Lumley has never been one to stay silent — but her latest comments have ignited one of the most explosive national debates of the year. The…

In a rare, story-inspired glimpse behind the gates of Windsor’s Forest Lodge, Prince William offers a look at the place he and Catherine now call their “forever sanctuary.” Far from ceremony and cameras, this imagined home feels serene, intimate, and filled with the soft design touches Catherine is known for — hand-printed fabrics, gentle colors, and rooms created for calm, comfort, and quiet family moments. There’s a warmth in every corner… the kind that speaks of healing, new beginnings, and the private life the world never sees. And the spaces meant for the children? Thoughtful, tender, and surprisingly personal — the kind that make you forget you’re inside a royal residence at all. But it was one simple detail William revealed in this story-style moment — something small, unexpected, and deeply meaningful — that left royal watchers completely stunned. It wasn’t grand, it wasn’t staged… but its emotional impact is unforgettable

Inside Windsor’s Forest Lodge: A Fiction-Inspired Look at William and Catherine’s Private Sanctuary This article is a creative, story-style imagining inspired by themes of family, healing, and…

“They Turned Britain Into A Place My Fallen Friends Wouldn’t Even Recognise…” A 100-Year-Old WWII Hero Has Delivered A Shattering, Tear-Soaked Warning That Has Left Millions Reeling — A Moment So Raw, So Furious, So Heartbreaking, It Has Been Called “The Most Powerful Plea Of A Dying Generation.” With His Medals Shaking In His Hands, The Veteran Looked Straight Into The Camera And Roared: “They Mock Us, They Forget Us — But They Will NEVER Erase Our Sacrifice!” His Voice Broke As Decades Of Buried Grief Crashed To The Surface: “My Brothers Didn’t Come Home… And For WHAT? This Broken Britain? This Country That No Longer Cares?”

Breaking News:WW2 hero, 100, tears into Labour’s broken Britain: ‘It’s not a nice place anymore!’ The D-Day warrior says Britain is now unrecognisable to him (Image: Ian Vogler…