David Beckham Says Netflix Documentary Made Him and Victoria ‘Nervous’: ‘I Hated Almost Every Moment of Making It’

David Beckham has opened up about the process of embarking on his Emmy award-winning documentary “Beckham,” saying the idea of it made him “nervous.”

“It worried me and it made me nervous and it made Victoria nervous,” Beckham said of the four-part doc, which dropped on the streamer last year and quickly became a hit. “I hated almost every moment of making it…it was very difficult.”

More from Variety

BBC Boss Tim Davie Says Huw Edwards Won’t Work for Broadcaster Again: ‘He’s Been Convicted of Appalling Crimes’
Warner Bros. Discovery U.K. Boss Andrew Georgiou Says Olympics Did a ‘Fantastic Job’ Driving Subscribers, Linear Audiences: ‘The Challenge Is Keeping the Customers’
Netflix Boss Ted Sarandos Says the Streamer Can’t Have Too Much Content: ‘People Have Such Eclectic Taste … You Have to Love It All’

“It was really difficult and it took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I was going to make it but there was a few reasons why we wanted to make it,” he continued. “When I retired I wasn’t ready to talk about my career and what had happened. Through the pandemic it’s when documentaries really exploded and it was coming up to the 10-year anniversary of my retirement from football.”

“As much as people think they know everything about us they don’t really and we don’t really let those doors open to our house but I knew it was the right time and then telling the story.”

Beckham was speaking at the Royal Television Society conference in London on Tuesday afternoon, where the audience was comprised mostly of producers, commissioners and other TV industry professionals.

The former England soccer captain has moved into production in recent years, with the launch of his company Studio 99, which produced “Beckham.” The four-part wall gave viewers unprecedented access into the footballer’s personal archives as well as interviews with him, his friends and family. One scene, in which he teased his wife Victoria Beckham over whether or not she’s really “working class” went viral.

One of the company’s next projects is an as-yet untitled documentary focusing on Victoria for Netflix.

Once he’d decided to make the documentary, “finding the right director took a while,” Beckham said of the project. Eventually he landed on “The Cove” director (and “Succession” actor) Fisher Stevens. Last year Stevens told Variety it was Leonardo DiCaprio who recommended him for the job.

“When I met Fisher I knew this is the man that will make me feel really uncomfortable and I knew I had to feel uncomfortable to make the documentary we made,” said Beckham.

Although some criticized the doc — which didn’t explicitly tackle the soccer star’s rumored affair with his former assistant Rebecca Loos — for not being objective enough, given Beckham was an executive producer on it, the former athlete claims Stevens was given free reign to cover what he wanted. “Through the whole documentary from Day One I said I don’t want to see anything until it comes out,” he said of his influence over what it contained. “I didn’t go into the edit, I didn’t see any cuts, I wanted to let Fisher have that control. It took quite a bit of convincing to get him on board.”

Ultimately, however, Beckham said he and Victoria “loved the results” — which is no doubt why they’re both returning to make the documentary about Victoria.

“I’m really excited about this one because she is an amazing woman,” Beckham gushed of his wife. “She’s a strong, driven, passionate person who’s gone from being a Spice Girl to being respected in this industry, it’s very tough. She’s worked hard for 18, 19 years on her business and suddenly she’s having the success she deserves.”

“People are going to see her personality and her work ethic,” he added.

When asked whether, as an executive producer on the doc, he planned to give Victoria notes, Beckham burst out laughing. “Do you know my wife?” he asked before jokingly muttering: “Give my wife notes…”

“I’m quite excited to give her notes,” he quipped.

Studio 99, which is run by longtime Beckham colleagues Nicola Howson and David Gardner, has also produced a number of sporting documentaries including “Fever Pitch: The Battle for the Premier League” on Paramount+ and snooker doc “Ronnie O’Sullivan: The Edge of Everything.”

It also made the Disney+ series “Save Our Squad,” which saw Beckham return to East London to mentor young football players.

“We’ve done so many things and made so many different shows,” Beckham said of the company. “Some are talked about more than other but they all mean something to us.”

Other speakers at the Royal Television Society conference, which this year is hosted by Netflix, include culture secretary Lisa Nandy, beleaguered BBC boss Tim Davie, “Peaky Blinders” creator Steven Knight and Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos.

Related Posts

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping thɑt the ɗeɑɗline will bring the relief they deserve.  WATCH NOW  SS

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping…

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as she broke down while begging for urgent change to SMA Type 1 testing. Her voice cracked. Her hands trembled. And then the room fell silent as Jesy sobbed: “I look at my children and think… why wasn’t this caught sooner?” Witnesses say even hardened officials struggled to keep composure as she spoke of fear-filled nights, unanswered questions, and the unbearable weight of watching parents learn devastating news too late. Wes Streeting was seen blinking back tears as Jesy pleaded: “Early testing saves lives. It saves families. No parent should ever, ever have to go through this pain.” The moment cut far deeper than politics — raw, unfiltered grief colliding with power, in a confrontation Britain wasn’t ready for. Support flooded in within minutes, with parents calling her words “heart-shattering” and campaigners saying this could be the speech that finally forces change. One thing is clear: this wasn’t a celebrity appearance. It was a mother’s cry — and it left scars on everyone who heard it. SS

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as…

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private life. SS

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private…

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’  SS

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ TOWIE…

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of her brain tumor. “The pain is relentless, the nights are endless, and some days I don’t know how I keep going,” she admitted, voice breaking as she described the constant hospital visits and crippling headaches. “But I have to keep fighting — for my family, for every moment I still have.” Social media erupted with emotional support: “Nicki, your courage moves us all,” and “We’re holding you in our hearts, always.” Her raw, tearful story exposes the fragility of life while showcasing an unshakable determination to survive, inspiring thousands in the face of overwhelming odds. SS

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of…

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who just made history on The Traitors — has left thousands in tears after confirming he has officially quit his job the moment filming ended. Not out of arrogance. Not laziness. But exhaustion. “I worked two jobs throughout university. I never allowed myself a single day to stop,” Stephen Libby admitted, his voice breaking. “This is the only chance I’ve ever had to breathe.” After a decade of grinding simply to survive, Stephen says winning The Traitors didn’t just give him prize money — it gave him time, something he’s never had before. For the “wee boy” from the Isle of Lewis, this victory isn’t about fame or fortune. It’s about rest. Healing. And finally allowing himself to be young — just once.  DD

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who…