David Beckham says filming ‘difficult’ documentary made him feel ‘uncomfortable’

Speaking at a television conference, David Beckham gives an insight into the making of his hit documentary series, Beckham, which on Sunday night won an Emmy.

By Gemma Peplow, culture and entertainment reporter, at the RTS Convention

Tuesday 17 September 2024 15:40, UK

Pic: Beckham/Netflix
Image:Pic: Beckham/Netflix

David Beckham has said creating his hit documentary series made him feel “uncomfortable”, as he was forced to discuss “things I’d never spoken about before”.

The football star spoke about the process of making Beckham, which was released on Netflix last year, at the Royal Television Society’s annual conference.

When asked by session presenter Jane Featherstone how he could make an “authentic documentary” about himself with his own Studio 99 firm, he said he worked with a team and a director he knew would push him.

David and Victoria Beckham in 2003
Image:The documentary series delved into Beckham’s life and career

The 49-year-old said it took him a “long time” to say yes to making the series – but once decided, he wanted it to be helmed by someone who would come at it “from a different angle” to the story people may think they know.

“It was really difficult,” Beckham said, of being interviewed for about 50 hours by director Fisher Stevens. “It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I was going to make it… when I retired, I wasn’t ready to talk about my career and talk about what had happened over that time.”

But as he approached the 10-year anniversary of his 2013 retirement from football, he thought: “Maybe this is the right time.”

Beckham said both he and his wife, Victoria, were “nervous” about the idea. “Because as much as people think they know everything about us, [they] don’t really. We don’t really let kind of those doors open to our house… I’m not going to lie, I hated probably almost every moment…”

Manchester United's David Beckham (R) with manger Sir Alex Ferguson, after the player signed a new contract to keep him at the club
Image:Beckham said his former Manchester United boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, encouraged him not to read headlines at the time

As the audience laughed, the former England and Manchester United star clarified: “I wouldn’t say I hated it. I would just say it was very difficult…

“I’ll go back and say it wasn’t hate, but it was really difficult because there were moments when I was talking about things that I’d never spoken about before.

“This was a time when I was playing in my career and there wasn’t social media. Everything that was said about me, I knew what was being said – but the boss would turn round to me, Sir Alex Ferguson, and say, ‘don’t read the papers today. Do yourself a favour, don’t read the papers, go out there and play’. And that’s really all that I kind of saw.”

Beckham said he did not want to see what was in the series until it was finished. “I didn’t go into the edit. I didn’t see any cuts. I saw the odd clip, but I didn’t see anything. And I just let Fisher have that control.”

Praising Stevens, he said: “Finding the right director took a while… But then when I met Fisher, I was like, okay – this is the man that is going to make me feel really uncomfortable. And I think I had to feel uncomfortable to make the documentary that we made…

“Fisher made me feel uncomfortable from the moment we sat down to talk, to the moment I finished. And I really needed that because I needed a director to come at it from a different angle. Because everyone kind of knows my career and my life and things like that. So I needed someone like him to bring something different out of me.”

David Beckham speaks to Sky News at documentary premiere

Beckham said watching the series for the first time at the premiere was an “emotional” experience, but he “loved” the result. On Sunday night, the programme picked up the award for outstanding documentary series at the Emmys in the US.

The star also spoke about Victoria Beckham’s upcoming documentary series, announced earlier in the summer, which will chart her career from Spice Girl to fashion designer and beauty entrepreneur.

Asked if he would be giving her “notes” now he has his own documentary behind him, Beckham laughed and replied: “Do you know my wife?”

He continued: “I’m actually really excited about this one with Victoria because she is an amazing woman. She’s a strong, driven, passionate person that has gone from being a Spice Girl, and to be respected in this industry is very, very tough.

“She’s worked hard for the last 17, 18 years on her business and all of a sudden she’s having the success that she really deserves. And no one really sees what she does. No one really sees the amount of work she puts in.

“She’s over everything, from where people sit at the shows to what they wear to everything that goes into her business. She’s over every single piece and I want people to see that.”

Related Posts

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping thɑt the ɗeɑɗline will bring the relief they deserve.  WATCH NOW  SS

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping…

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as she broke down while begging for urgent change to SMA Type 1 testing. Her voice cracked. Her hands trembled. And then the room fell silent as Jesy sobbed: “I look at my children and think… why wasn’t this caught sooner?” Witnesses say even hardened officials struggled to keep composure as she spoke of fear-filled nights, unanswered questions, and the unbearable weight of watching parents learn devastating news too late. Wes Streeting was seen blinking back tears as Jesy pleaded: “Early testing saves lives. It saves families. No parent should ever, ever have to go through this pain.” The moment cut far deeper than politics — raw, unfiltered grief colliding with power, in a confrontation Britain wasn’t ready for. Support flooded in within minutes, with parents calling her words “heart-shattering” and campaigners saying this could be the speech that finally forces change. One thing is clear: this wasn’t a celebrity appearance. It was a mother’s cry — and it left scars on everyone who heard it. SS

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as…

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private life. SS

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private…

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’  SS

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ TOWIE…

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of her brain tumor. “The pain is relentless, the nights are endless, and some days I don’t know how I keep going,” she admitted, voice breaking as she described the constant hospital visits and crippling headaches. “But I have to keep fighting — for my family, for every moment I still have.” Social media erupted with emotional support: “Nicki, your courage moves us all,” and “We’re holding you in our hearts, always.” Her raw, tearful story exposes the fragility of life while showcasing an unshakable determination to survive, inspiring thousands in the face of overwhelming odds. SS

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of…

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who just made history on The Traitors — has left thousands in tears after confirming he has officially quit his job the moment filming ended. Not out of arrogance. Not laziness. But exhaustion. “I worked two jobs throughout university. I never allowed myself a single day to stop,” Stephen Libby admitted, his voice breaking. “This is the only chance I’ve ever had to breathe.” After a decade of grinding simply to survive, Stephen says winning The Traitors didn’t just give him prize money — it gave him time, something he’s never had before. For the “wee boy” from the Isle of Lewis, this victory isn’t about fame or fortune. It’s about rest. Healing. And finally allowing himself to be young — just once.  DD

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who…