Mike Tyson will be in Francis Ngannou’s corner as he prepares to take on Tyson Fury in their crossover clash in Saudi Arabia in huge boost to the MMA star

Mike Tyson will be in Francis Ngannou‘s corner when the former UFC champion takes on Tyson Fury in their heavyweight fight in Saudi Arabia on October 28.

Tyson, the former undisputed world champion, believes Ngannou can serve up a shock to the Briton, despite never previously having fought under boxing rules.

Tyson said: ‘It is no secret I back Ngannou 100 per cent in this face-off of champions. He isn’t a combat novice – he is a world champion.

‘I am looking forward to working with Ngannou and supporting his transition from the octagon to the boxing ring.’

The contest, which is essentially an exhibition bout, will take place in a regular boxing ring with three judges scoring it via the contention 10-point-must system.

 

October’s match-up has sparked controversy since its announcement in July, with British heavyweight contender Dave Allen calling for the Gypsy King to be stripped of his WBC title after agreeing to face Ngannou.

Fury was due to face Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk in an undisputed clash earlier this year, but the fight disintegrated over disagreements on the split of the purse, with Fury keen to take 70-30

The Gypsy King later requested the re-match clause be removed from the fighters’ contract.

Whilst Fury’s promotor Frank Warren insisted that his team had chased other heavyweight opponents for the fight, the groundbreaking Ngannou match-up came about after it was reported a deal couldn’t be reached with alternative competitors.

Ngannou become UFC’s heavyweight champion in 2021 after defeating Stipe Miocic, six years after signing to the franchise in 2015.

 

 

The fighter – who holds the world record for most powerful punch – left the organisation in 2023, later signing for the Professional Fighters League, which allows him to pursue lucrative options beyond the octagon.

Tyson also weighed in on the upcoming clash between Nate Diaz and Jake Paul, calling the former YouTuber the sport’s ‘saviour’.

‘He’s going to save boxing – as long as he continues to fight,’ Iron Mike stressed.

‘He got the light, you know what I mean? He’s touched. He’s got the light.’

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…