Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson fight will NOT involve headguards, YouTube star’s business partner confirms… after ex-British heavyweight Derek Chisora claimed bout will be a ‘sparring match’

Jake Paul and Mike Tyson will not be wearing headguards when they meet in the ring this summer, the YouTube star’s business partner has confirmed.

Paul, 27, announced last week that he is set to face Tyson, 57, in a controversial boxing encounter that will be screened live on Netflix on July 20.

Many have expressed outrage over ‘Iron Mike’ – who last competed professionally back in 2005 – stepping into the ring with a fighter 30 years his junior who has won his last two fights by knockout.

Amid concerns with the bout, former British heavyweight boxer Derek Chisora recently claimed to have heard that Paul and Tyson’s contest will simply be a ‘sparring match’ with both men wearing headguards and 18oz gloves.

Yet according to Nakisa Bidarian – Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions co-founder – rumors of headgear in the fight is simply ‘fake news’.

Jake Paul and Mike Tyson will not wear headguards when they meet in the ring this summer

Jake Paul and Mike Tyson will not wear headguards when they meet in the ring this summer

Paul's Most Valuable Promotions co-founder Nakisa Bidarian (right) says there will be no headgear in the July 20 bout

Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions co-founder Nakisa Bidarian (right) says there will be no headgear in the July 20 bout

Badarian took to Instagram on Tuesday to hit out at the 'fake news' circulating this week

Badarian took to Instagram on Tuesday to hit out at the ‘fake news’ circulating this week

Bidarian wrote on Instagram, via The Mirror, ‘Unequivocally there is no headgear for Paul vs Tyson, haters spreading fake news but it won’t stop the 10’s of millions of views.’

Tyson will be 58 years old by the time his proposed bout with Paul happens, sparking fears over his safety almost two decades since he bowed out from the sport.

The former world heavyweight champion has taken part in exhibitions since retiring, most recently taking on fellow fight legend Roy Jones Jr in 2020.

However, combat-sports journalist Ariel Helwani claims promoters behind Paul’s clash with Tyson are pushing for it to be staged as a professional contest.

‘They’re still working on a few important details based on the conversations that I’ve had,’ Helwani said on his latest MMA Hour show. ‘Is it pro or is it exhibition? They want pro, obviously that’s up to the Texas Commission. We’ll wait and see.

‘Weight, I’m told heavyweight. Rounds working on that as well.’

Eddie Hearn is ‘really sad’ Mike Tyson will be making a comeback

News of Paul and Tyson’s fight has been met by criticism in the boxing and sporting world, with British promoter Eddie Hearn labelling it ‘sad’.

‘For me it’s really sad because Mike Tyson was one of my idols growing up, and to see him fighting at 57, 58… but I also understand that a lot of people are going to tune in and watch,’ Hearn told Mail Sport last week.

‘It’s an entertainment event, Netflix, great to see them involved in boxing. I think it will do really well. But it’s just not really one for me.’

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…