Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson fight could be a PROFESSIONAL bout – 19 years since ‘Iron Mike’ last competed – as YouTube star and former heavyweight champion prepare to face off in July

The promoters behind Jake Paul and Mike Tyson‘s controversial boxing showdown are pushing for it to be staged as a professional contest, according to reports.

Paul, 27, sparked outrage last week after announcing that he is set to face Tyson, 57, in a live Netflix bout on July 20.

Despite appearing to be an exhibition, many were quick to express outrage over the concept of ‘Iron Mike’ stepping back into the ring with a fighter 30 years his junior – especially following recent footage which shows him using a walking stick.

In Paul, he will be taking on a YouTube star carving out a career for himself in professional boxing after picking up nine wins in 10 contests, which has included brutal knockouts against former UFC stars Tyron Woodley and Ben Askren.

A number of high-profile figures in the sport are therefore concerned about Tyson – who is turning 58 in June – taking on a fighter as young and heavy-handed as Paul.

Mike Tyson could reportedly be set to face Jake Paul in a professional contest this summer

Mike Tyson could reportedly be set to face Jake Paul in a professional contest this summer

Tyson will be 58 by the time he steps into the ring to face Paul, who is 30 years his junior

Tyson will be 58 by the time he steps into the ring to face Paul, who is 30 years his junior

And according to combat-sports journalist Ariel Helwani, Paul and Tyson’s bout may not even be classed as an exhibition, with promoters understood to be pushing for a pro contest.

‘They’re still working on a few important details based on the conversations that I’ve had,’ Helwani said on his latest MMA Hour show. ‘Is it pro or is it exhibition? They want pro, obviously that’s up to the Texas Commission. We’ll wait and see.

‘Weight, I’m told heavyweight. Rounds working on that as well.’

Former British heavyweight boxer Derek Chisora recently claimed that Paul and Tyson will be wearing headguards and using 18oz gloves in a sparring-style fight, a rumor which was shut down by Helwani.

Instead, organizers are reportedly keen for the bout to resemble a standard pro encounter – something Tyson hasn’t taken part in since 2005.

The former world heavyweight champion quit in his final contest 19 years ago, with journeyman Kevin McBride forcing him to throw in the towel on both the fight and his career before the start of the seventh round.

'Iron Mike' has not competed professionally since his 2005 stoppage defeat to Kevin McBride

‘Iron Mike’ has not competed professionally since his 2005 stoppage defeat to Kevin McBride

Eddie Hearn is ‘really sad’ Mike Tyson will be making a comeback

Since then, he has merely competed in exhibitions over the last two decades, the most recent coming against fellow fight legend Roy Jones Jr back in 2020.

Eddie Hearn believes it will be ‘really sad’ to see Tyson return to the ring against Paul.

‘For me it’s really sad because Mike Tyson was one of my idols growing up, and to see him fighting at 57, 58… but I also understand that a lot of people are going to tune in and watch,’ Hearn told Mail Sport last week.

‘It’s an entertainment event, Netflix, great to see them involved in boxing. I think it will do really well. But it’s just not really one for me.’

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…