Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Dillian Whyte has been cancelled

Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Dillian Whyte has been cancelled after Whyte returned ‘adverse analytical findings’ in a drugs test.

Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Dillian Whyte has been cancelled

Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Dillian Whyte on August. 12 has been cancelled after the latter returned ‘adverse analytical findings’ in a drugs test.

Matchroom Sport released a statement on Saturday afternoon to confirm the news.

It read: “Today, the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) informed Matchroom, the Association of Boxing Commissions and the British Boxing Board of Control that Dillian Whyte had returned adverse analytical findings as part of a random anti-doping protocol.

“In light of this news, the fight will be cancelled, and a full investigation will be conducted. Further information on the event will follow.”

At this moment, it is unclear whether or not Joshua will still fight and take on a replacement opponent on Saturday, according to talkSPORT reporter Michael Benson.

Image

He added: “Filip Hrgovic vs Demsey McKean was due to be on the undercard, though AJ may now simply wait for proposed Deontay Wilder showdown in January in Saudi Arabia.”

Whyte has been involved in two previous doping scandal, with the most recent being an adverse finding before his fight with Oscar Rivas in 2019.

The bout went ahead and Whyte was later cleared of any wrongdoing by UKAD.

Back in 2013, Whyte was banned for two years after testing positive for a banned substance found in a food supplement.

UK Anti-Doping said the fighter tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine after winning a heavyweight fight against Sandor Balogh on Oct.13.

British heavyweights Joshua and Whyte were set to go head-to-head at the O2 Arena in London next weekend.

“I’ve been clear that my plan is to be active this year,” said Joshua last month. “August 12 is the date, I’ll be ready to fight. I look forward to dealing with business.”

Whyte added: “I’m looking forward to returning to the London O2 on August 12 and going to war. It’s 1-1 so this is the decider!”

Eddie Hearn also commented at the time: “I can’t quite believe this fight is happening and there was absolutely no stopping either man.”

Related Posts

Meghan Markle ‘irritated Victoria Beckham had considerably more wealth before falling out’

Meghan Markle was concerned to discover that Victoria Beckham ranked higher than her in the social pecking order and had mansions and private jets at her fingertips,…

Harry and Meghan’s private Montecito school plans will have ‘major disadvantage’

With the news Harry and Meghan are looking to send their children to private school, a leading royal author reveals the decision will have ‘major disadvantage’Harry and…

Inside Meghan Markle’s ‘struggles running a 9-bed £12million mansion with 15 staff’

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s £12million mansion costs hundreds of thousands to upkeep, according to an expert. Thankfully, the Sussexes are not strapped for cashMeghan Markle and Prince Harry “struggle”…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle fled the UK ‘in fear for their sanity and physical safety’

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry left the Royal Family four years ago before moving to Montecito, California, and now the Duke of Sussex has reflected on their…

New blow for Prince Harry as ‘closest cousin’ seen joking around with Prince William

She grew up in a close knit unit with her cousins Prince William and Prince Harry, celebrating occassions together as well as going on holidays. No wonder…

Prince Harry ‘hates hotels and wears a disguise on UK visits’

The Duke of Sussex has made no secret of his desire for privacy, so it’s little wonder he goes out of his way to stay incognito, says…