Anthony Joshua faces being on the undercard for his next fight in embarrassing step down

Anthony Joshua faces being on the undercard for his next fight in embarrassing step down

Anthony Joshua is reportedly set to fly back to Texas to start training camp ahead of a December fight.

Joshua hasn’t fought since his devastating knockout victory over Robert Helenius in August..

He’s on a two-fight winning streak, having suffered back-to-back defeats to Oleksandr Usyk.

A blockbuster Saudi Arabia showdown against Deontay Wilder had been mooted but talks broke down.

Joshua vs Wilder appears unlikely to take place this year, with a March or April date suggested.

In the meantime, the 34-year-old could have a tick over bout in December ahead of potentially facing off against ‘The Bronze Bomber’.

He could appear on the Chris Eubank Jr vs Conor Benn bill on December 23 in Abu Dhabi, which is being planned by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn, according to The Sun.

So, that would see Joshua compete on the undercard, which would be his first non-main-event fight since 2015.

He fought Kevin Johnson on the undercard of Matchroom’s ‘Rule Britannia’ card, which saw Kell Brook take on Frankie Gavin in the main-event.

An opponent for December hasn’t been named, but, as an interim clash, it’s unlikely to be a major contender in the heavyweight division.

Anthony Joshua knocks out Robert Helenius. Image: Getty
Anthony Joshua knocks out Robert Helenius. Image: Getty

If Hearn is unable to strike a deal with Team Wilder, then they could turn to IBF mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic, who boasts a 16-0 professional record.

On Joshua vs Wilder, the Matchroom chief said: “We were offered a deal that we accepted [but it fell through]. It’s not my fault now that some of the alternatives may not be anywhere near the last number, so that makes us reconsider our options.

“We’re also in line potentially to fight for the IBF world title vs Filip Hrgovic/Otto Wallin. So I don’t care about Deontay Wilder, he’s in his own problems, the guy ain’t fought for a year and his last fight was about 40 seconds. He don’t really wanna fight, I don’t think.”

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…