The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping thɑt the ɗeɑɗline will bring the relief they deserve.  WATCH NOW  SS

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping thɑt the ɗeɑɗline will bring the relief they deserve.  WATCH NOW

WASPI WOMEN CLOSE TO JUSTICE: DWP CHIEF PROVIDES UPDATE AS COMPENSATION DEADLINE APPROACHES!

The Ombudsman previously recommended the WASPI women get up to £3,000 compensation.

DWP permanent secretary Peter Schofield speaking in Parliament (Image: Parliament TV)

DWP bosses have issued an update over when the new WASPI compensation (Women Against State Pension Inequality) decision will come out. The Government announced in December 2024 that it would not provide payouts for the 1950s-born generation of women, represented by the WASPI campaign and others. But this decision was rescinded in December 2025, with the campaigners now awaiting the new decision from the DWP, with the possibility that there could be a financial remedy.

These women were affected by their state pension age increasing from 60 to 65 and then 66. The campaigners claim they were not sufficiently informed of the change by the DWP, with many having to suddenly change their retirement plans when they found out. The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman previously investigated the issue, and recommended that the women should get payouts ranging from £1,000 to £2,950.

The investigation by the Ombudsman found there was ‘maladministration’ from the DWP, as they should have sent out letters to the women sooner. The watchdog also called on the DWP to improve its communications to avoid similar issues in the future.

‘Serious concerns’ raised by the Ombudsman

In the original decision, Labour ministers did accept there were major errors in its communication efforts, and promised to work with the DWP to implement an “action plan”, to improve its services. But with the months passing and little action from the DWP, the Ombudsman wrote to the Work and Pensions Committee to raise “serious concerns” about the delays.

DWP bosses were called before the committee this week [January 21] to explain the reason for the hold-up. DWP permanent secretary Peter Schofield said he spoke with the Ombudsman in January 2025 about how to bring about this action plan, but “it took a while” to get things going. The two groups had further workshops in April and June, to look at drawing up a plan to improve its handling of complaints and of communications.

Mr Schofield said they had a “working draft” agreed over the summer and by the time that Labour ministers announced they would re-take the decision. He said: “This re-taking of the decision does mean that we can’t work on the implementation of the previous decision, and the action plan was part of that. I met with the Ombudsman before Christmas and I explained where we were with the action plan.”

He said he had showed the Ombudsman, Paula Sussex, the draft action plan and so was “surprised” to see the letter she later sent to the committee, where she had criticised the DWP’s lack of action. The committee was bemused as to why the new decision being taken should mean the action plan is delayed as well.

A formal exercise

Mr Schofield explained: “There’s a formal, serious exercise going on, which is retaking a really important decision by Government. The action plan itself flows from a previous decision, that has now been retaken, so there’s a formal Government process here underway.
“That means I’ve got to stop work on the implementation of the previous decisions. That’s the formal position that I’m under.” On the question of when ministers will issue their new decision, there is a deadline in place for this.

The previous decision was set to be challenged with a judicial review, which was applied for by WASPI. But the two sides agreed an out-of-court settlement in December 2025, shortly before they were set to do battle at the high court.

The DWP agreed to pay £180,000 towards WASPI’s legal costs and that Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Pat McFadden, would issue his new decision within three months. This means the new decision needs to come out by early March.

Mr Schofield told the committee: “That decision is now being retaken. That decision is now being re-taken by the Secretary of State. I imagine it won’t be too long before he makes that decision.”

Work is underway

Mr Schofield was keen to tell the committee about what the DWP has already been doing to make sure people better understand their state pension. The top civil servant said: “We’ve got a campaign underway at the moment called ‘Check your state pension age’, we’re going to evaluate that in April.

“That builds on previous campaigns, one about ‘Get to know your state pension’ and one called ‘Will the retirement you get by the retirement you want?’ We’ve got online tools such as ‘Check your state pension age’ and ‘Check your state pension forecast’.

“That enables anyone to go onto the system and see what their National Insurance contribution records look like, it enables them to see what their forecast would be.”

Related Posts

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as she broke down while begging for urgent change to SMA Type 1 testing. Her voice cracked. Her hands trembled. And then the room fell silent as Jesy sobbed: “I look at my children and think… why wasn’t this caught sooner?” Witnesses say even hardened officials struggled to keep composure as she spoke of fear-filled nights, unanswered questions, and the unbearable weight of watching parents learn devastating news too late. Wes Streeting was seen blinking back tears as Jesy pleaded: “Early testing saves lives. It saves families. No parent should ever, ever have to go through this pain.” The moment cut far deeper than politics — raw, unfiltered grief colliding with power, in a confrontation Britain wasn’t ready for. Support flooded in within minutes, with parents calling her words “heart-shattering” and campaigners saying this could be the speech that finally forces change. One thing is clear: this wasn’t a celebrity appearance. It was a mother’s cry — and it left scars on everyone who heard it. SS

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as…

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private life. SS

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private…

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’  SS

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ TOWIE…

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of her brain tumor. “The pain is relentless, the nights are endless, and some days I don’t know how I keep going,” she admitted, voice breaking as she described the constant hospital visits and crippling headaches. “But I have to keep fighting — for my family, for every moment I still have.” Social media erupted with emotional support: “Nicki, your courage moves us all,” and “We’re holding you in our hearts, always.” Her raw, tearful story exposes the fragility of life while showcasing an unshakable determination to survive, inspiring thousands in the face of overwhelming odds. SS

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of…

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who just made history on The Traitors — has left thousands in tears after confirming he has officially quit his job the moment filming ended. Not out of arrogance. Not laziness. But exhaustion. “I worked two jobs throughout university. I never allowed myself a single day to stop,” Stephen Libby admitted, his voice breaking. “This is the only chance I’ve ever had to breathe.” After a decade of grinding simply to survive, Stephen says winning The Traitors didn’t just give him prize money — it gave him time, something he’s never had before. For the “wee boy” from the Isle of Lewis, this victory isn’t about fame or fortune. It’s about rest. Healing. And finally allowing himself to be young — just once.  DD

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who…

Martin Frizell Has Shared The Devastating Reality Of Watching His Wife, Fiona Phillips, Slowly Slip Away As Early-Onset Alzheimer’s Steals Her Memories — Including The Ability To Recognise Him And Their Son. Despite The Pain, Martin Remains Unwavering, Staying By Her Side, Singing To Her, Holding Her Hand, And Becoming The Memory She Is Losing. Their Story Has Touched The Nation, With Fans Calling It The Purest, Most Painful Proof Of Love — A Tearful Reminder That Sometimes Loving Someone Means Remembering Life For Both Of You When One Heart Can No Longer Remember On Its Own SS

Martin Frizell Has Shared The Devastating Reality Of Watching His Wife, Fiona Phillips, Slowly Slip Away As Early-Onset Alzheimer’s Steals Her Memories — Including The Ability To…