Sir Tom Jones, 85, cancels gig hours before he’s due on stage with sad health update!

Sir Tom Jones has been inundated with best wishes from fans after cancelling a gig at the 11th hour

Sir Tom Jones has cancelled a gig hours before going on stage due to concerns about his health.

The 85-year-old singer told fans he was ‘very sorry’ to step down at the 11th hour as he shared his heartbreak at inconveniencing thousands of ticket holders. Tom had been due to play in Bremen, north Germany on his latest tour.

However, on the day he was due to perform, the star had some bad news for ticket-holders. Sir Tom is midway through is UK and Europe summer tour which began on June 13 at Hampton Court Palace in Surrey with concerts scheduled in Dundee, Marbella, and Colchester.

The tour is due to end in Wales with two performances scheduled at Cardiff Castle at the end of August.

In a statement issued today, the Welsh crooner said: “Hello to all the fans in Bremen. Unfortunately, I must postpone my show this evening, as I’ve contracted an upper respiratory infection that needs treatment and rest. I know this is really disappointing and will cause inconvenience to you all, and I’m very sorry about that. But the show will now go ahead on Monday 28th July, so I look forward to seeing you then. All tickets will remain valid for the re-scheduled date.

“Until then, thank you for your understanding. Love, Tom.”

The Delilah star, who recently celebrated his 85th birthday, was sent a flurry of well wishes from his legion of adoring fans as many wished the singer a speedy recovery.

It’s not the first time the star has had to cancel a gig. In 2018, Sir Tom pulled out of a string of shows after contracting a bacterial infection.

The then 78-year-old pulled out of number of performances after a statement on his Twitter, now X account, read: “Sir Tom has a bacterial infection for which he is being treated in hospital. The condition is being well managed and under doctors’ orders, appropriate recovery time and rest is advised.”

However, last year, the Sexbomb star spoke out his health, telling us that he was feeling fitter than ever.


The Welsh star told the Mirror he has no plans to retire (
Image:
The Voice UK)
Expressing gratitude for his incredible voice, he said: “Well, thank God my voice is still working. I am 83 years old. I mean I can’t believe it, but it is true. When I am singing I am like, ‘How the hell is this coming out of me?’ Honestly. If the voice was not there I am sure I would be going ‘Urgh, I don’t want to do so many shows’ but I love it as the voice is still working!”

However, singer – who was born Thomas Jones Woodward – has endured a number of health battles over the years, including a major double hip replacement. He underwent surgery on his left hip in 2017 and his right hip in 2022.

The Treforest-born star has also overhauled his diet over recent years, in a bid to keep his health in check. He cut down on drinking alcohol and adopted a caveman, or paleo, diet, which focuses on eating lean meats, fruits, fish, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

Speaking on a Radio 2 show about his weight loss, Tom said: “I was putting too much weight on. I didn’t think I was going to and I left the working out for a bit, thought I’d keep a check on it.

“But with the Christmas puddings and cakes, before I knew it I was 230lb (16.4 stone) which was 30lb more than I should be. I couldn’t get into my suits. That’s when I thought: ‘This has got to stop’.”

In 2023, Tom insisted he has no plans to retire from performing anytime soon, saying he’ll only hang up his mic if his voice starts to fail.

Looking back on his life, the star admitted he is a born performer and has never wanted to share the spotlight. Speaking to us, he surmised: “I had an uncle, my father’s older brother, and his name was Georgie and he was a singing waiter and he used to sing in pubs so I would go and see him.

“I knew that I could sing and I was not frightened of anything. [But] I did not want to be part of a choir in Wales. I wanted to show off.”

Related Posts

Loose Women star Denise Welch’s three word warning after being scammed for thousands

Denise Welch has opened up about how she was scammed of thousands of pounds after making a huge error – and is warning others not to do…

Kym Marsh suffers another tragic family loss as she shares heartbreaking tribute

Actress Kym Marsh has revealed her family has suffered another devastating death as she paid an emotional tribute on her social media following the loss of her…

David Beckham makes big gesture on social media towards son Brooklyn amid rift

David Beckham showed his support for his eldest son Brooklyn Beckham on social media this week following rumours of a rift between some of the family in…

Clarkson’s Farm star Harriet Cowan claims she is ‘not making any money’ despite show

Harriet Cowan became a hit with Clarkson’s Farm viewers when she stepped in to help Jeremy Clarkson while Kaleb Cooper went away as she revealed the harsh…

Danniella Westbrook confesses her biggest regret as she looks back on her troubled past

Former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook says she doesn’t have any career regrets, but drugs will “always” be her biggest regret, as she’s opened up about her past…

Alex Jones fights tears as her rarely-seen husband appears on The One Show

Alex Jones was brought to tears during tonight’s episode of The One Show as her rarely-seen husband Charlie made a surprise appearance as she celebrated 15 years…