Shocking Secrets: Carlos Sainz Breaks Silence on What Ferrari Left Out About Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes Negotiations

Carlos Sainz was suddenly dropped by Ferrari as they announced the signing of Lewis Hamilton in February 2024, with the Spaniard blindsided and left lacking an explanation

Carlos Sainz of Spain and Williams F1 team in the garage during qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Silverstone Circuit on July 5, 2025 in Northampton, United Kingdom.
Carlos Sainz Jr believes he wasn’t given sufficient reasoning for losing his Ferrari seat(Image: Kym Illman, Getty Images)

Carlos Sainz has revealed that Ferrari didn’t explain why when they told him he would be replaced by Lewis Hamilton. The Formula One world was rocked in February 2024 when it emerged that the seven-time world champion would be joining the iconic Italian team, partnering up with Charles Leclerc.

Sainz, who was caught completely off guard by the announcement, had been under the impression that his future at Maranello was secure. The Spanish driver, 30, was in the midst of contract renewal talks, with his deal set to run out after the 2024 season.

He finished the season with the Scuderia before joining Williams for the current 2025 campaign, while Hamilton bid farewell to Mercedes, where he had enjoyed the most successful driver-team partnership in F1 history.

Sainz has now opened up about the shocking moment he was told of Fred Vasseur’s decision over a phone call, voicing his disbelief and noting the lack of answers he was given by the team regarding his axing.

He explained on the High Performance Podcast: “I received a phone call and I suddenly received the news. I was completely shocked. I went from believing I was going to be in Ferrari for a while to, ‘What am I going to do now?’

“It never occurred to me that that could happen.” When asked whether they gave him any reasons, he added: “No, not really. There weren’t many reasons.

“I’m not going to go a lot into the detail of those conversations but I was like, ‘Okay now it’s my time to shine and to prove to everyone what I’m worth. It’s the most important moment of my life now.’

Lewis Hamilton waving in Ferrari uniform
Lewis Hamilton unexpectedly took Sainz’s seat(Image: Getty)

“I went into that late February and March period with the mentality of I’m just going to go for it. That gave me a bit of a kick and I think it made me a better driver.”

Sainz’s previous season had ended in a disappointing seventh placed finish in the drivers’ championship, which may have been one reason for Ferrari reconsidering his future.

Sainz then entered talks with Sauber, Alpine and even Mercedes, potentially replacing Hamilton in a dramatic swap. But despite lengthy discussions with Toto Wolff, he admits it was never a serious possibility.

Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes talks with Second placed Carlos Sainz of Spain and Ferrari in parc ferme during the F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi
Sainz discussed the possibility of replacing Hamilton with Mercedes(Image: Formula 1 via Getty Images)

Asked whether he was on the verge of securing a contract offer, he said: “Not really. We spoke a lot with Toto and everyone else at the time and I was certainly one of the options that was considered. But how close was I? You can ask Toto that. But I think he is very happy with Kimi Antonelli.”

Both Sainz and Hamilton have faced challenges adapting to their new teams this season. Despite being halfway through the campaign, Hamilton is yet to clinch a podium finish and sits sixth in the standings, while Sainz finds himself in a disappointing 15th place.

Related Posts

Loose Women star Denise Welch’s three word warning after being scammed for thousands

Denise Welch has opened up about how she was scammed of thousands of pounds after making a huge error – and is warning others not to do…

Kym Marsh suffers another tragic family loss as she shares heartbreaking tribute

Actress Kym Marsh has revealed her family has suffered another devastating death as she paid an emotional tribute on her social media following the loss of her…

David Beckham makes big gesture on social media towards son Brooklyn amid rift

David Beckham showed his support for his eldest son Brooklyn Beckham on social media this week following rumours of a rift between some of the family in…

Clarkson’s Farm star Harriet Cowan claims she is ‘not making any money’ despite show

Harriet Cowan became a hit with Clarkson’s Farm viewers when she stepped in to help Jeremy Clarkson while Kaleb Cooper went away as she revealed the harsh…

Danniella Westbrook confesses her biggest regret as she looks back on her troubled past

Former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook says she doesn’t have any career regrets, but drugs will “always” be her biggest regret, as she’s opened up about her past…

Alex Jones fights tears as her rarely-seen husband appears on The One Show

Alex Jones was brought to tears during tonight’s episode of The One Show as her rarely-seen husband Charlie made a surprise appearance as she celebrated 15 years…