Max Verstappen’s Red Bull Exit Sparks Heated Clash Between Helmut Marko and Christian Horner at Silverstone – The Untold Story

The dust is starting to settle after Red Bull sacked Christian Horner last week, yet the reasons why they let their Formula 1 CEO and team principal go continue to emerge.

Horner enjoyed 20 years at the helm of Red Bull, as he joined soon after the Austrian energy drink brand bought the ailing Jaguar squad from Ford ahead of the 2005 F1 season. Yet their declining results and Horner’s push for power were a toxic blend that brought about his end.

As well as being the head of their racing team, the 51-year-old oversaw the creation and the progress of Red Bull Powertrains who will create the team’s engine for F1’s 2026 regulations. Also, Horner took control of Red Bull’s F1 marketing team and he even oversaw Racing Bulls’.

Horner’s pursuit of power was a leading reason why Red Bull sacked the Briton, after he lost the support of majority shareholder Chalerm Yoovidhya. He had lost the support of Red Bull GmbH co-owner Mark Mateschitz and managing director Oliver Mintzlaff already a year ago.


Photo by Song Haiyuan/Paddocker/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Helmut Marko and Red Bull disagreed with Christian Horner suggesting they may not need Max Verstappen

Ultimately, the axe fell last Tuesday, when Red Bull sacked Horner without telling him why he was being placed on gardening leave for at least the remainder of 2025. Red Bull and Horner are negotiating a pay-off that may exceed £50m, as his contract is set to run through 2030.

The news of his sacking shocked Horner, who Matt Bishop says in his Motor Sport Magazine column told him that the Leamington Spa native was not aware his tenure was at risk when they saw each other one day before the call came from Red Bull that he was being released.

But Bishop also has ‘on good authority’ that Red Bull GmbH chief Mintzlaff and motorsport adviser Helmut Marko did not agree with one claim that Horner raised at the British Grand Prix in relation to the threat of driver Max Verstappen potentially joining Mercedes in 2026.

It is said that Verstappen has provisionally agreed to join Mercedes via a release clause in his contract at Red Bull through 2028. But Horner echoed what the late Dietrich Mateschitz told him about Sebastian Vettel joining Ferrari in 2015 in relation to a question about Verstappen.

Mateschitz told Horner, “We don’t need the best driver if we don’t have the best car”, when Vettel left Red Bull after one difficult season in 2014 on the back of winning the drivers’ title four times on the spin, as Verstappen has since 2021 only to struggle in a tricky car in 2025.

But Mintzlaff and Marko did not agree with Horner’s apparent suggestion at Silverstone that Red Bull do not need Verstappen if they do not have the best car. So, fearing the 27-year-old could join Mercedes, Red Bull are determined to do whatever it takes to guarantee he stays.

Max Verstappen has shown Red Bull need him like crazy for the past seven seasons


Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images
The British GP proved to be the last of the 406 Grands Prix entries that Horner oversaw with Red Bull, which resulted in six constructors’ titles, eight drivers’ titles, 124 race wins and 287 podiums. Verstappen scored Red Bull’s 107th pole at the British Grand Prix but finished fifth.

Verstappen has proven that Red Bull’s car can be quick in the right conditions, at the perfect circuit and in the right hands. But Red Bull designing a car that only the Dutchman can push to its limits is leaving the Milton Keynes crew just fourth in the 2025 constructors’ standings.

While Verstappen has won two Grands Prix and scored 165 points to sit third in the 2025 F1 drivers’ championship after 12 rounds, Liam Lawson failed to score a point in the RB21 over his two rounds at Red Bull and Yuki Tsunoda has only taken seven since he adopted the seat.

Sergio Perez also only scored 152 points to the 437 that Verstappen earned to win the 2024 drivers’ title, as the Mexican finished eighth in the standings. Horner’s decision to give Perez a contract at Red Bull for 2025 before pulling a U-turn in December also did not aid his case.

Tsunoda, Lawson and Perez are just the latest victims of the cursed second Red Bull car next to Verstappen since Daniel Ricciardo left after the 2018 F1 season, though. So, if Horner felt Red Bull could cope without Verstappen, Mintzlaff and Marko had no choice but to sack him.

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…