MasterChef’s John Torode breaks silence on axe and insists he hasn’t been told he’s been sacked!

He follows co-host Gregg Wallace out the door…

MasterChef host John Torode has reacted to the news he has been axed as presenter of the show after 20 years.

The news of his sacking came earlier today, after it was reported that John was asked to resign from MasterChef after he was accused of racism. Now, he has claimed that neither the BBC or Banijay, which makes the show, have been in touch to deliver the news.

MasterChef star John, 59, issued a statement on Instagram this morning, denying the racism allegations. However, following Gregg Wallace‘s axing, the BBC confirmed that John’s contract wouldn’t be renewed.

Early evening, John shared a new statement…


John was asked to quit (Credit: ITV)

John Torode dragged into MasterChef drama with Gregg Wallace

Over the past few months, Gregg Wallace has come under fire amid allegations of inappropriate behaviour and language. Banijay, the production company behind MasterChef, launched a probe.

Last week, it was announced that Gregg had been sacked from the show. In an update, many shocking findings have been revealed from the report. 45 of the allegations, that span a period between 2005 and 2024, were upheld.

The report also upheld a complaint that an unnamed person used a racial phrase once several years ago. John Torode has since confirmed to The Sun, and on Instagram, that the unnamed person was, in fact, him.

A source said: “He was at drinks after filming when he is alleged to have used an inappropriate racial term. The witness said he apologised instantly, and he was mortified. The witness even stated he didn’t use the term as a slur.

“No one complained at the time, but it’s been brought up during the inquiry. Shockingly, he was only made aware of the incident two weeks ago and was only informed on Friday that it would be upheld,” they then said.

What did John Torode say?

The Sun has also claimed that the BBC and Banijay asked John to resign over the weekend. They also allegedly told MasterChef star John Torode to pretend he had mental health issues after being accused of racism. However, he refused.

“They ambushed him, and it was suggested he quit due to the stress and scrutiny of the furore around the show. Obviously he was absolutely shocked and appalled and told them quite firmly he didn’t have any mental health issues. To try to use mental health as a get-out clause seems incredibly low — and is also deeply unfair to those with genuine mental health trauma,” they said.

They went on to say that John “loves” his job and doesn’t want to lose it because of an investigation into his co-star.

Now, the BBC has revealed that John has been axed.

BBC axe statement in full

In a statement released this afternoon (July 15), a spokesperson said: “John Torode has identified himself as having an upheld allegation of using racist language against him.

“This allegation – which involves an extremely offensive racist term being used in the workplace – was investigated and substantiated by the independent investigation led by the law firm, Lewis Silkin.

“John Torode denies the allegation. He has stated he has no recollection of the alleged incident and does not believe that it happened. He also says that any racial language is wholly unacceptable in any environment.”

Crucially, it then added: “The BBC takes this upheld finding extremely seriously. We will not tolerate racist language of any kind.

“And, as we have already said, we told Banijay UK, the makers of MasterChef, that action must be taken.

“John Torode’s contract on MasterChef will not be renewed,” the statement concluded.

John’s statement

Posting on Instagram, John said: “Although I haven’t heard from anyone at the BBC or Banijay – I am seeing and reading that I’ve been ‘sacked’ from MasterChef and I repeat that I have no recollection of what I’m accused of. The enquiry could not even state the date or year of when I am meant to have said something wrong.

“I’d hoped that I’d have some say in my exit from a show I’ve worked on since its relaunch in 2005, but events in last few days seem to have prevented that. Over the past few months I’ve been considering my life and the shape of it now and in the future.

“Celebrity MasterChef, which I recently filmed with Grace Dent along with the two fantastic Christmas specials, will be my last. Personally, I have loved every minute working on MasterChef, but it’s time to pass the cutlery to someone else. For whoever takes over, love it as I have.

“I will watch fondly from afar as I now focus on the many other projects I have been working towards. My tummy will be grateful for a rest after 20 years of eating, but what a joy it has been. Life is ever-changing and ever-moving and sometimes personal happiness and fulfilment lay elsewhere.

“Thank you for the many years of MasterChef. John Torode.”

‘I do not believe it happened’

In a statement on Instagram last night (Monday, July 14), John confirmed he was the person accused of saying a racial phrase. However, he claimed he does not “believe it happened”.

“Following publication of the Executive Summary of the Investigation into Gregg Wallace while working on MasterChef, I am aware of speculation that I am one of the two other individuals against whom an allegation has been upheld,” he wrote.

“For the sake of transparency, I confirm that I am the individual who is alleged to have used racial language on one occasion,” he then continued.


MasterChef star John Torode has spoken out (Credit: BBC)

‘I would never wish to cause offence’

The statement then continued.

“The allegation is that I did so sometime in 2018 or 2019, in a social situation, and that the person I was speaking with did not believe that it was intended in a malicious way and that I apologised immediately afterwards,” he said.

“I have absolutely no recollection of any of this, and I do not believe that it happened. However, I want to be clear that I’ve always had the view that any racial language is wholly unacceptable in any environment,” he then wrote.

“I’m shocked and saddened by the allegation as I would never wish to cause anyone any offence.”

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…