Lance Stroll surgery update and Aston Martin replacement driver plan for Canadian GP!

With Lance Stroll in a race against time to be fit for the Canadian Grand Prix after surgery, Aston Martin need a backup plan – made more difficult by both its reserve drivers planning to race at Le Mans that same weekend

Lance Stroll walks in the F1 paddock
It remains to be seen whether Lance Stroll will be fit for the Canadian Grand Prix(Image: Getty Images)

Aston Martin could turn to a veteran Formula 1 star to partner Fernando Alonso at the Canadian Grand Prix. That’s one of the options available to the team with Montreal native Lance Stroll in a race against time to be fit for his home race.

Stroll withdrew from Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix the night before the race, citing pain in his hand and wrist that he had been suffering for some time. Aston Martin said he had experienced discomfort for around six weeks, suggesting he had driven the Saudi Arabian, Miami, Emilia Romagna and Monaco Grands Prix with the issue.

He is no stranger to pain in that area – he missed pre-season in 2023 after undergoing surgery following a cycling accident while training in Spain. He broke his wrist and a toe but, just over two weeks later, raced at the Bahrain Grand Prix and, incredibly, finished sixth.

But it’s possible that the accelerated recovery period he went through then, in order to not miss the start of that season, may have led to this recurrence of pain. The team said his issue was “related to the procedure he underwent in 2023”, but was no more specific.

An Aston Martin spokesperson did not wish to comment on Stroll’s personal medical situation. But it is understood that the surgery he skipped the Barcelona race for was carried out on Monday, by Dr Xavier Mir and his team – the same expert who treated him two years ago.

Aston Martin chief trackside officer Mike Krack has said that their ‘Plan A’ is for Stroll to race at the Canadian Grand Prix, a week on Sunday. If he cannot, then they will need an alternative plan – though the timing makes that process a little trickier than it might have been.

The Montreal F1 race clashes with another major motorsport event, the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans. And both Aston Martin reserve drivers – Felipe Drugovich and Stoffel Vandoorne – are currently set to take part in the latter, representing Peugeot and Cadillac respectively.

If they need to, Aston Martin have the power to pull either of them away from Le Mans to race in Canada. Drugovich in particular likely won’t need much convincing, given he has waited patiently for his first chance to race an F1 car, having been stuck on the sidelines since winning the 2022 Formula 2 title.

But they are also not Aston Martin’s only options. As a current Mercedes engine customer, they also have access to their pool of reserve drivers including Valtteri Bottas, who has made himself available for all 24 F1 races this year in the hope that it might give him the chance to race and audition for a permanent 2026 seat elsewhere.

Aston Martin won’t want to rush Stroll and risk another recurrence down the line, nor do they want to rush into a decision over their Montreal driver line-up. “We wait to see what the next days are bringing and then we take a decision,” said Krack.

Related Posts

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping thɑt the ɗeɑɗline will bring the relief they deserve.  WATCH NOW  SS

The fight for WASPI compensɑtion is neɑring its end. As the DWP chief issues ɑn updɑte, the women who hɑve wɑited so long for justice ɑre hoping…

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as she broke down while begging for urgent change to SMA Type 1 testing. Her voice cracked. Her hands trembled. And then the room fell silent as Jesy sobbed: “I look at my children and think… why wasn’t this caught sooner?” Witnesses say even hardened officials struggled to keep composure as she spoke of fear-filled nights, unanswered questions, and the unbearable weight of watching parents learn devastating news too late. Wes Streeting was seen blinking back tears as Jesy pleaded: “Early testing saves lives. It saves families. No parent should ever, ever have to go through this pain.” The moment cut far deeper than politics — raw, unfiltered grief colliding with power, in a confrontation Britain wasn’t ready for. Support flooded in within minutes, with parents calling her words “heart-shattering” and campaigners saying this could be the speech that finally forces change. One thing is clear: this wasn’t a celebrity appearance. It was a mother’s cry — and it left scars on everyone who heard it. SS

“NO PARENT SHOULD EVER HAVE TO LIVE THIS.”  Jesy Nelson brought Westminster to a standstill — and left Health Secretary Wes Streeting visibly fighting back tears — as…

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private life. SS

STUNNING DISCLOSURE: The carefully curated image of Alex Pretti has been torn apart after members of his inner circle came forward with disturbing details about his private…

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’  SS

Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ Pete Wicks Lands Huge TV Role — Branded ‘Worthy Successor to Paul O’Grady’ TOWIE…

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of her brain tumor. “The pain is relentless, the nights are endless, and some days I don’t know how I keep going,” she admitted, voice breaking as she described the constant hospital visits and crippling headaches. “But I have to keep fighting — for my family, for every moment I still have.” Social media erupted with emotional support: “Nicki, your courage moves us all,” and “We’re holding you in our hearts, always.” Her raw, tearful story exposes the fragility of life while showcasing an unshakable determination to survive, inspiring thousands in the face of overwhelming odds. SS

““EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP HOPING THIS IS JUST A NIGHTMARE…” Nicki Chapman’s heartbreaking confession has left fans in tears as she reveals the terrifying return of…

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who just made history on The Traitors — has left thousands in tears after confirming he has officially quit his job the moment filming ended. Not out of arrogance. Not laziness. But exhaustion. “I worked two jobs throughout university. I never allowed myself a single day to stop,” Stephen Libby admitted, his voice breaking. “This is the only chance I’ve ever had to breathe.” After a decade of grinding simply to survive, Stephen says winning The Traitors didn’t just give him prize money — it gave him time, something he’s never had before. For the “wee boy” from the Isle of Lewis, this victory isn’t about fame or fortune. It’s about rest. Healing. And finally allowing himself to be young — just once.  DD

“I’VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 15… I’VE NEVER HAD A HOLIDAY. PLEASE LET ME BE A KID ONE LAST TIME.” Stephen — the quiet strategist who…