Red Bull Racing driver Max Verstappen will be well aware that the Belgian Grand Prix could be an uncomfortable experience for him and the team.
After the British Grand Prix, Red Bull removed Christian Horner as team principal, putting Racing Bulls chief Laurent Mekies in charge.
It was a decision that Red Bull felt they had to make with the team sitting fourth in the constructors’ championship, and Max Verstappen almost certainly out of contention in the drivers’ standings.
Unsurprisingly, this underperformance has fueled speculation that Verstappen could join Mercedes next season.
Mercedes aren’t performing much better than Red Bull this year, with George Russell and Andrea Kimi Antonelli below Verstappen in the drivers’ championship.
However, concerns about Red Bull’s ability to develop their 2026 car, and a brand new power unit being developed by the team for the first time, are creating doubts about their ability to perform next year.
Juan Pablo Montoya has been discussing Verstappen’s future and believes he’s seen a ‘sign’ that suggests a move to the Silver Arrows might be getting close.
Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images
Juan Pablo Montoya thinks Mercedes are preparing Max Verstappen 2026 contract
Montoya was asked on the MontoyAS Podcast about Horner’s departure from Red Bull and said: “For me, personally, it’s more on the side of Jos Verstappen than Max.
“What was said, and what we’ve heard, on the Sunday [at the British Grand Prix], the head of communications for Red Bull Racing was shouting at Jos.
“If that was true, and that Christian got involved, and the result of that is that they took out Christian, because right now, Red Bull is in a bad way, they are afraid of doing anything that might upset Verstappen, because they don’t want to lose him.
“If you notice, last week, Max went straight from telling the team everything was perfect to sitting down and talking to Toto Wolff.”
Juan Pablo Montoya spots a ‘sign’ that Max Verstappen could be close to Mercedes move
He was then asked if he believed that something had already been agreed between Mercedes and Verstappen, and continued: “Yes, for Max to look his best, it’s probably a sign.
“By the time Max gets to that point in the conversation, it’s because they’ve already seen the contracts, they’ve spoken about everything, they’ve already decided everything, and if you understand me, it’s the last one.
“Come on, let’s work together! OK, sign here, let’s go. I’m sure they wanted to sign up front.
“They are not going to send a contract, the first contract, they are not going to do it remotely.
“So, I think it could be that way. I, personally, see Max more in Mercedes than anywhere else.
“And the million-dollar question is, should we really get rid of Russell? Mercedes have always tried to have the best team, and I really like Antonelli, but at the moment, Antonelli lacks the experience.
“He has speed, but are they going to gamble on him being Max’s number two?
“Tell me how many teammates Max has had and how many have survived Formula 1?”
Mercedes face tricky driver decision if Max Verstappen agrees to Red Bull exit
Should Verstappen decide that his best next step for 2026 is to join Mercedes, then the F1 driver market suddenly becomes far more open.
Mercedes are expected to drop Russell for Verstappen should the 27-year-old agree to the switch, and a straightforward swap deal would therefore make the most sense.
However, Russell has outperformed Antonelli this year, and if they want to be as competitive as possible next season, then retaining the British driver alongside Verstappen would be the logical choice.
Whether Toto Wolff wants a repeat of the tense rivalry Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg had might end up making his decision for him.
However, turning down the chance to bring in a driver of Verstappen’s calibre is virtually impossible, even if it means saying goodbye to one of his home-grown talents.