Breaking News: Christian Horner Fired by Red Bull as New Team Principal Steps In, Marking a New Era in Formula 1 Leadership.

Red Bull have announced their new F1 team principal for the remainder of the season after Christian Horner was sacked with immediate effect.

Laurent Mekies, team principal at Racing Bulls, has been promoted from the junior team and will now take over from Horner after he was fired on Wednesday morning.

An official statement from the team said: “With immediate effect, Laurent Mekies will take over the duties of CEO at Red Bull Racing. As part of his change, Alan Permane, currently Racing Director, will be promoted to Team Principal at Racing Bulls.”

Menawhile, Mekies himself said: “The last year and a half has been an absolute privilege to lead the team with Peter [Bayer].

“It has been an amazing adventure to contribute to the birth of Racing Bulls together with all our talented people. The spirit of the whole team is incredible, and I strongly believe that this is just the beginning.

“Alan [Permane] is the perfect man to take over now and continue our path. He knows the team inside out and has always been an important pillar of our early successes.”

Laurent Mekies has replaced Christian Horner at Red Bull

Who is Laurent Mekies?

In 2002, Mekies joined Minardi as a race engineer, beginning a 12-year tenure in Faenza. When the team transitioned to Scuderia Toro Rosso in 2006, he became Chief Engineer, overseeing all trackside operations – from car assembly at the factory to race-day execution.

He later took on the role of Head of Vehicle Performance, leading six departments focused on optimising car performance.

In 2014, Laurent moved to the FIA, taking on the position of Safety Director, where he managed safety and medical operations across all championships.

His responsibilities also included R&D and homologation for both circuit and road applications. In early 2017, he was named F1 Deputy Race Director, working alongside Charlie Whiting, while also overseeing sporting matters across the FIA’s single-seater categories.

September 2018 marked Laurent’s move to Scuderia Ferrari as Sporting Director. He expanded his remit in 2019 to include Head of Track & Performance Area, and in 2021 was promoted to Racing Director.

After leaving Ferrari in the summer of 2023, he became VCARB team principal, now replacing Horner at Red Bull.

Related Posts

Loose Women star Denise Welch’s three word warning after being scammed for thousands

Denise Welch has opened up about how she was scammed of thousands of pounds after making a huge error – and is warning others not to do…

Kym Marsh suffers another tragic family loss as she shares heartbreaking tribute

Actress Kym Marsh has revealed her family has suffered another devastating death as she paid an emotional tribute on her social media following the loss of her…

David Beckham makes big gesture on social media towards son Brooklyn amid rift

David Beckham showed his support for his eldest son Brooklyn Beckham on social media this week following rumours of a rift between some of the family in…

Clarkson’s Farm star Harriet Cowan claims she is ‘not making any money’ despite show

Harriet Cowan became a hit with Clarkson’s Farm viewers when she stepped in to help Jeremy Clarkson while Kaleb Cooper went away as she revealed the harsh…

Danniella Westbrook confesses her biggest regret as she looks back on her troubled past

Former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook says she doesn’t have any career regrets, but drugs will “always” be her biggest regret, as she’s opened up about her past…

Alex Jones fights tears as her rarely-seen husband appears on The One Show

Alex Jones was brought to tears during tonight’s episode of The One Show as her rarely-seen husband Charlie made a surprise appearance as she celebrated 15 years…