Wynne Evans says Strictly told him ‘don’t trust anyone’ in shock statement

Wynne Evans, 53, known for the Go.Compare insurance advertisements, competed in the 20th anniversary series of the hit dancing programme with professional dancer Katya Jones

Welsh opera singer Wynne Evans has levelled accusations at BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing, claiming it to be “fundamentally flawed in its duty of care”. The 53-year-old tenor, famed for his appearances in the Go.Compare insurance adverts, took part in the 20th anniversary series of the popular dance show alongside professional dancer Katya Jones.

In May, Evans revealed he had been let go by the BBC and would no longer host on BBC Radio Wales after apologising for using “inappropriate language” during the launch of the Strictly tour.

His apology followed a report by the Mail On Sunday in January that he had directed a sexual joke at one of the other professional dancers, Janette Manrara.

In an Instagram post featuring a photo of the Strictly professionals, Evans wrote: “What it Feels Like to See Pictures of Strictly? I’ll be the first to admit I’ve made mistakes. Not quite the way the Daily Mail would have you believe, but mistakes all the same.”

a group of dancers in a studio with text across it
Wynne Evans shared this snap on his social media accounts 
Image:
wynneevans/Instagram)

Evans accused the BBC of engaging in a series of “lies and cover‐ups in order to absolve themselves of any wrongdoing” and said this was the “hardest part” for him.

He continued: “From my dealings right at the very top with (BBC director-general) Tim Davie, through BBC Wales and the HR department, one feeling has been constant: the only thing they truly care about is protecting themselves and their jobs and Ratings – people come second.

“When I first stepped into the rehearsal room at Strictly, I thought it would be a magical experience. And at the start, it was. But the very first thing I was told was: ‘Don’t trust anyone in this room – not even me.'”.

“That hit me hard. I’ve always worn my heart on my sleeve, and while I may sometimes sail close to the line, there’s never malice in what I do. What I wasn’t prepared for was the way people will protect their personal and BBC brands, at any cost.”

Evans alleged in his statement that the HR department “twisted facts, invented files and dates, and created a version of events that simply wasn’t true”.

“Statements were issued in my name that I hadn’t even seen, let alone agreed to. My voice was taken away,” he said. Evans had previously stated he never authorised the statement released by the BBC in January where he apologised for making an “inappropriate and unacceptable” comment.

At the time, a BBC spokesperson said: “The apology issued on Wynne’s behalf by the Strictly Come Dancing Tour PR representative on Saturday January 25 was fully approved by Wynne.”

wynne on this morning
The opera singer alluded to suicidal thoughts in his emotional post
Evans also revealed in his Tuesday post: “Tim Davie publicly promised that the BBC would safeguard people who took part in Strictly. I thought about that promise while sitting in a psychiatrist’s office near the BBC, staring out of the window at the BBC building, fighting to save my own life. That’s how close I came to the edge.

“I’m not writing this as a victim, as I said I will own my mistakes. I’m writing it because the system is broken. Strictly is now fundamentally flawed in its duty of care. It’s allowed to continue because of ratings, while people’s wellbeing is left in tatters.”

In 2024, the BBC conducted a review into allegations of bullying and harassment against former Strictly dancer Giovanni Pernice, which were made by his ex-dance partner Amanda Abbington.

The broadcaster upheld some, but not all, of the complaints made and implemented a range of new measures to enhance welfare. This included having a chaperone present “at all times” during training room rehearsals.

Evans has had a varied career, performing in the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Of The Opera and winning Celebrity MasterChef in 2023.

In May, he told the Sun that a comment he made on the Strictly Come Dancing tour was not sexual or aimed at one of the female cast members, but was actually a nickname for fellow contestant, EastEnders actor Jamie Borthwick. In June, the opera singer announced his comeback to radio with The Wynne Evans Show, a live weekday internet broadcast.

The BBC declined to comment on this story.

Related Posts

Loose Women star Denise Welch’s three word warning after being scammed for thousands

Denise Welch has opened up about how she was scammed of thousands of pounds after making a huge error – and is warning others not to do…

Kym Marsh suffers another tragic family loss as she shares heartbreaking tribute

Actress Kym Marsh has revealed her family has suffered another devastating death as she paid an emotional tribute on her social media following the loss of her…

David Beckham makes big gesture on social media towards son Brooklyn amid rift

David Beckham showed his support for his eldest son Brooklyn Beckham on social media this week following rumours of a rift between some of the family in…

Clarkson’s Farm star Harriet Cowan claims she is ‘not making any money’ despite show

Harriet Cowan became a hit with Clarkson’s Farm viewers when she stepped in to help Jeremy Clarkson while Kaleb Cooper went away as she revealed the harsh…

Danniella Westbrook confesses her biggest regret as she looks back on her troubled past

Former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook says she doesn’t have any career regrets, but drugs will “always” be her biggest regret, as she’s opened up about her past…

Alex Jones fights tears as her rarely-seen husband appears on The One Show

Alex Jones was brought to tears during tonight’s episode of The One Show as her rarely-seen husband Charlie made a surprise appearance as she celebrated 15 years…