Gregg Wallace sparks fury after linking his autism to misconduct allegations

Former MasterChef star Gregg Wallace has been accused of using his recent diagnosis to excuse his behaviour, having been accused by over 50 people of misconduct

Gregg Wallace
Gregg Wallace has sparked more controversy with comments blaming his autism for his alleged inappropriate behaviour on MasterChef

Gregg Wallace has faced a backlash after linking claims of misconduct to his recent autism diagnosis. The former MasterChef presenter apologised for his inappropriate humour and language in a social media post.

He went on to mention his recent autism diagnosis, saying it was “suspected and discussed by colleagues across countless seasons of MasterChef”. Wallace, 50, continued: “Yet nothing was done to investigate my disability or protect me from what I now realise was a dangerous environment for over 20 years. That failure is now being quietly buried.” His comments have been met by anger from charities, experts and people with autism.

Gregg Wallace
Gregg Wallace has been accused of misconduct claims that he denies(Image: BBC/Glenn Dearing)

Oxford University research psychologist Dr Lucy Foulkes said sexually inappropriate comments were not a symptom of autism, and that his comments give autistic people a bad name. She explained: “Difficulties and differences in social interactions and communication are a key feature of autism.

“But it’s things like having difficulties with the typical ‘turn-taking’ of conversation, or not feeling comfortable making neurotypical amounts of eye contact, or having difficulties deciphering hidden and implied meaning from people’s explicit words. Nothing about autism or any neurodivergence explains why a man would make sexually inappropriate comments.”

Jessie Hewitson, Director of NeuroUniverse, made a similar point. She said people with autism “have been stereotyped since the dawn of time” and that such remarks risk sending the false message that they cannot take personal responsibility.

Earlier this week it was revealed Gregg, who’d presented MasterChef for 20 years, had been sacked from the cooking show. It came ahead of a report into his alleged behaviour, which is due out any day. An investigation by BBC News last year reported that 13 people had alleged that Wallace had made inappropriate sexual comments across a number of shows over 17 years. A further 50 more people came forward and made further complaints since, including allegations of touching and groping. Gregg, 60, denies any wrongdoing.

Gregg Wallace and John Torode on Masterchef
Gregg was sacked from MasterChef, which he presented with John Torode(Image: BBC/Shine TV)

He posted a lengthy on Instagram on Tuesday, in which he claimed the upcoming report cleared him of “the most serious and sensational allegations” made against him.

“I recognise that some of my humour and language, at times, was inappropriate. For that, I apologise without reservation. But I was never the caricature now being sold for clicks,” he wrote. “I was hired by the BBC and MasterChef as the cheeky greengrocer. A real person with warmth, character, rough edges and all.”

He went on to reference his recent autism diagnosis – saying it was “suspected and discussed by colleagues across countless seasons of MasterChef.” “Yet nothing was done to investigate my disability or protect me from what I now realise was a dangerous environment for over twenty years,” he wrote.

In one report this week, a source close to Gregg claimed he couldn’t wear underwear because of his sensory issues. He has been accused of pushing MasterChef crew member on to a sofa and pulling down his trousers, while another claimed he once appeared “completely naked except for a sock pulled over his penis”.

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…