BBC bosses’ battle to save Strictly as 2025 ‘no more scandal’ line-up leaked

The BBC are demanding a ‘no more scandal’ policy on Strictly and are determined to make sure the 2025 line-up is the safest yet with a royal and Blue Peter stars being considered

Wynne Evans and Jamie Borthwick
Last year’s stars Wynne Evans and Jamie Borthwick created extra headaches for bosses

There is a “terrible, terrible fear” among BBC executives that Strictly Come Dancing will be struck by scandal again this year – and every effort is being made to ensure all contestants are squeaky clean.

The show has been dogged by shocking headlines in recent years, and this weekend EastEnders star Jamie Borthwick – on the show in 2024 – was suspended by the BBC after using a slur against people with disabilities on the set of Strictly while filming in Blackpool.

That came after Giovanni Pernice ws involved allegations of bullying and aggressive behaviour made by his partner Amanda Abbington, forcing the corporation to launched an internal investigation. In May, radio host Wynne Evans announced he is leaving his role after the broadcaster decided not to renew his contract.

He apologised for making what he described as an “inappropriate and unacceptable” comment during the Strictly Come Dancing live tour launch in December. The crude sexualised remark was aimed at dance pro and It Takes Two host Janette Manrara.

Giovanni Pernice Amanda Abbington
Giovanni Pernice was accused of bullying partner Amanda Abbington(Image: PA)

Wynne Evans

Now the BBC want to go risk free and are leaving no stone unturned to make sure the line-up is as safe as possible. Blue Peter presenters Joel Mawhinney and Shini Muthukrishnan are said to be under consideration – as is Tom Parker Bowles, the son of Queen Camilla.

Georgia Toffolo – the I’m a Celebrity Jungle Queen – is reportedly being lined up, as is Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts. Newly married former Love Island star Dani Dyer is being considered, it has been reported, with former Coronation Street star Helen Flanagan another name high up on bosses’ list.

“There is a terrible, terrible fear among those high up that these awful things are going to keep happening and the show will be brought into disrepute again and again,” one well-place BBC insider has told MailOnline. “With that in mind, they are taking no chances.

“There will be stringent checks, and asking around, and digging into potential stars’ backgrounds to make sure that they’re not choosing anyone who might damage the show. For years, there was the whole Strictly “curse” where the contestants and professionals kept having affairs. But that stopped.

“Changes were made to the partnerships and it worked. There have been other issues in the past couple of years, though. What’s been even more embarrassing for the BBC is that Wynne and Jamie have been from their own stable of stars. Going forward, those at the top want a wholesome image to shine through. No more scandal – just joy.”

This weekend EastEnders star Jamie Borthwick declared he is “deeply sorry” for using a derogatory term about disabled people. The shock news came six months after he was competing on the BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing – which is when the incident is said to have taken place.

The 30-year-old actor has appeared on EastEnders since 2006 in which he plays Jay Brown. However, it is stated he is on suspension from the soap following the revelation he used offensive language in a video that was allegedly shared with friends.

He has issued a grovelling apology which has been shared by The Sun on Sunday, stating: “I want to apologise sincerely and wholeheartedly for the words I used in the video showing my reaction to making it through Blackpool week on Strictly. “I am deeply sorry for any offence and upset my words and actions have caused. It is no excuse, but I did not fully understand the derogatory term I used and its meaning. That is on me completely.

“Now I am aware, I am deeply embarrassed to have used the term and directed it in the way I did. It was wrong.” He went on to issue an apology to the people of Blackpool and reiterate his regret over his words. The Mirror has contacted a representative of the star for comment.

Related Posts

Katie Piper’s Triumph: 17 Years After Acid Attack, She Stuns the World in a Blue Bikini

Seventeen years after a brutal acid attack left her blind in one eye and scarred across her face, neck, chest, and arms — and following more than 250…

“SHE’S NOT OKAY NOW!”: Lesley Joseph Breaks Down Over Pauline Quirke’s Cruel Battle With Dementia. At the Variety Club Showbusiness Awards, the beloved actress struggled to hold back tears as she spoke, voice trembling with raw emotion: “I miss her so much… it’s heartbreaking to see her like this.” Pauline, diagnosed with dementia in 2021, has faced a relentless decline that has left even decades of friendship feeling painfully fragile. Lesley recalled moments from their iconic on-screen partnership as Dorien and Sharon, memories now tinged with fear and sorrow. Earlier this year, Linda Robson shared that Pauline still has “up days” and even asked after her “mate Linda,” a fragile spark of recognition in a world growing dim. As Lesley prepares to visit her friend, fans are left gripped by the weight of her words, mourning the cruel reality of a life once full of laughter now shadowed by disease, and wondering how the bonds of love endure when time and memory betray even the strongest hearts.

Sending prayers, strength, and endless love to Pauline, Lesley, and Linda.A wave of sadness has swept through the hearts of Birds of a Feather fans after beloved…

Davina McCall Is ‘Planning an Intimate Winter Wedding in the New Year to Fiancé Michael Douglas’ After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Davina McCall is reportedly planning an intimate winter wedding in the New Year to fiancé Michael Douglas after her recent breast cancer diagnosis Davina McCall is reportedly…

CONFIRMED: ITV Unveils the New Host of The Chase, Bradley Walsh’s replacement — Fans Are in Shock and the reaction is heartbreaking.K

Fans of The Chase have been sent into a frenzy after a surprise wave of speculation suggested that ITV may already have a successor lined up if beloved host Bradley…

Midnight Scandal in Las Vegas: Did Oscar Piastri Just Expose McLaren’s Secret Favoritism War?

In the high-stakes world of Formula 1, drama is rarely confined to the racetrack. But late Friday night, under the neon glow of the Las Vegas Grand…

Title Hopes Crushed by Millimeters: The Brutal History of F1 Disqualifications Strikes Again in Las Vegas

In the high-octane world of Formula 1, the difference between glory and ruin is often measured in thousandths of a second. But as the dust settles on…