Princess Anne reveals full horror of horse accident at hospital that treated her

The Princess Royal, 74, spent five nights at Southmead Hospital in Bristol following a serious incident involving a horse at her home in Gloucestershire in June last year

Princess Anne has returned to the intensive care unit where she was treated for head injuries last year to “fill in the blanks” and thank medics for her care.

The Princess Royal, 74, spent five nights at Southmead Hospital in Bristol following a serious incident with a horse at her home in Gloucestershire on June 23.

The King’s sister had set out alone and on foot to feed her chickens before becoming involved in an incident, where she is believed to have been struck from behind by a horse, that left her concussed and badly bruised.

The Princess was rushed to hospital by ambulance and was treated as an in-patient before being discharged on June 28 to convalesce at home.

The Princess Royal, 74, spent five nights at Southmead Hospital in Bristol following a serious incident with a horse
The Princess Royal spent five nights at Southmead Hospital in Bristol following a serious incident with a horse 
Image:
Getty Images)

At the time Buckingham Palace said she had been admitted “as a precautionary measure for observation”, but the princess today revealed the true horror of the accident.

On her return to the hospital, Anne met paramedics and members of the critical care team who treated her at the scene, as well as those who cared for her in the ICU, which had not previously been known.

The Princess told hospital staff that it was “useful” to meet them as she was still unable to recall what happened.

After touring the intensive care unit and chatting to several medics, including Morwenna Maddock, the ICU matron who oversaw her care, the Princess gave a short speech thanking them for their efforts.

She returned to visit the hospital where she was treated
She returned to visit the hospital where she was treated 
Image:
Getty Images)
“You’ve been filling in the blanks, which partly, from my perspective, is really useful to know how it happened, because I seriously don’t have any idea, and sadly, I don’t have huge memories of being in here either,” she said.

“But I just know I was really well looked after, so thank you. But whatever you did, it seemed to work…. the recovery has been relatively straightforward, thankfully. That isn’t always true, so I’m really grateful.

“But I’m also grateful in a weird sort of way that I remember nothing, because that has huge advantages – you can just carry on.”

Two days after the incident, Anne’s husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence told reporters outside the hospital she was “doing fine” adding her recovery was “slow but sure”.

Princess Anne revealed she doesn't remember the accident
Princess Anne revealed she doesn’t remember the accident 
Image:
Getty Images)
Three weeks later, Anne appeared at her first royal engagement sporting severe bruising under her left eye, saying: “I can’t remember a single thing.”

Her appearance at the Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA) National Championships at Hartpury University and Hartpury College was cut down to just two hours to compensate for her state at the time.

Appearing to joke about her horses today/yesterday (THURS) and which one may have been responsible for her injuries, Anne added: “I don’t know if there was a perpetrator who managed to do that much damage… they’re not letting on either, so relationships remain absolutely secure. No one has gone absent as a result of this.”

Among those who treated the Princess was Steven Pullin, a volunteer community responder, who was the first on the scene at Gatcombe Park.

She thanked hospital staff for their treatment
She thanked hospital staff for their treatment 
Image:
Getty Images)An air ambulance crew was next to arrive followed by a second critical care team and an ambulance with paramedics on board, which eventually took her to hospital.

James Teakle, an emergency care assistant who drove the ambulance, recalled that the journey took 34 minutes.

“I know the area so could work out who it was,” he said. “It was just another job, but a person of importance. I wouldn’t have done anything different for anyone else.”

The Princess also met paramedic Sophie Taylor, who also accompanied her to the hospital, and the two-man critical care team who had the necessary skillset to treat her at the scene, doctor Richard Jeavons and specialist paramedic Callum Sutton, who work for Great Western Air Ambulance Charity.

Maria Kane, chief executive of North Bristol NHS Trust, thanked the Princess for taking time out from her busy schedule to meet those involved in her care.

“We feel very privileged to have you come and see us,” she said.

“I know staff who talked to you earlier today have been very, very grateful to hear that you’ve made such a lovely recovery and look so well today.

After the visit, Ms Maddock said: “She does look incredibly well, it was lovely. It was really nice for her to come back and see the team. She very kindly thanked us all.”

On patients returning to the hospital after they have been discharged, she added: “It doesn’t happen all the time, so it’s really important for our staff to see that their hard work has paid off.

“We often don’t see that onward journey and their recovery. So actually, to see them coming back, looking so well, looking so fit, and how they are normally, pre hospital, it’s a good feeling.”

Ms Maddock said that many patients were unable to remember their stay in hospital, adding: “That’s really, very common and it’s just nice to be able to piece it all back together for her.”

Sam Patel, medical director of the NHS Trust, said it was important for such patients to return and “close the loop”.

While medics who treated the Princess last year revealed that her injuries were consistent with being struck by a horse, the exact circumstances of her accident remain unknown .

The Princess recently revealed that she had been making her “regular visit” to see her chickens but added: “I don’t have any idea what I was doing in the field, because I never normally went that way.”

She suggested she had had a lucky escape as she had been “very close” to losing her faculties. She said she now counts every day as a bonus.

“It just reminds you, shows you – you never quite know, something (happens) and you might not recover,” she said during an interview last month.

Related Posts

Loose Women star Denise Welch’s three word warning after being scammed for thousands

Denise Welch has opened up about how she was scammed of thousands of pounds after making a huge error – and is warning others not to do…

Kym Marsh suffers another tragic family loss as she shares heartbreaking tribute

Actress Kym Marsh has revealed her family has suffered another devastating death as she paid an emotional tribute on her social media following the loss of her…

David Beckham makes big gesture on social media towards son Brooklyn amid rift

David Beckham showed his support for his eldest son Brooklyn Beckham on social media this week following rumours of a rift between some of the family in…

Clarkson’s Farm star Harriet Cowan claims she is ‘not making any money’ despite show

Harriet Cowan became a hit with Clarkson’s Farm viewers when she stepped in to help Jeremy Clarkson while Kaleb Cooper went away as she revealed the harsh…

Danniella Westbrook confesses her biggest regret as she looks back on her troubled past

Former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook says she doesn’t have any career regrets, but drugs will “always” be her biggest regret, as she’s opened up about her past…

Alex Jones fights tears as her rarely-seen husband appears on The One Show

Alex Jones was brought to tears during tonight’s episode of The One Show as her rarely-seen husband Charlie made a surprise appearance as she celebrated 15 years…