Watch : Donna Kelce heartbroken and sobbed as son Jason Kelce announces retirement


Jason Kelce has made it official.

The Philadelphia Eagles center, who was drafted by the team in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft, has announced his decision to retire from the NFL after 13 seasons in the league, seven Pro Bowl selections, six first-team All-Pro selections and one Super Bowl title.

In an emotional press conference at the Philadelphia Eagles Training Center at the NovaCare Complex, Kelce reminisced about his love of the game, which began when he was a boy in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
“Stepping on the field was the most alive and free I had ever felt,” he said. “It was a visceral feeling with football unlike any other sport.”

The father of three also thanked numerous coaches, teammates and “cafeteria workers” along the way, too numerous to name, he said.

In his lengthy speech, in which Kelce paused numerous times to hold back tears, the NFL star also paid tribute to the special bond he has with his brother, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, and said before speaking about their brotherly bond: “This is where it’s going to go off the rails.”

“We won countless Super Bowls in our minds, before even leaving the house,” Jason said, recalling their days playing football, armed with Capri Sun drinks which their mom, Donna Kelce, packed for them.

Kelce, 36, who posted on X early Monday morning that his decision was forthcoming, had been mulling the issue for more than a year.

In his Prime documentary that debuted last year, the toll that the game was taking on his health — and the effect it was having on his young family — was a running theme.

After a “disappointing” end to the Eagles’ season, which came to a close when they lost a wild-card playoff game to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 32-9, on Jan. 15, Kelce’s decision was seemingly etched on his face after the game.

During the final play, Kelce hugged his longtime offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland. Then, the father-of-three choked back tears and searched for his family, including his wife, Kylie Kelce, and father, Ed Kelce, in the stands.

Despite separate reports that stated Kelce had announced his intention to retire to teammates following the game, the Eagles star later clarified that he had not made a decision at the time.
“I think when it’s time to officially announce what’s happening in the future, it will be done in a way that will be definitive,” he said on his New Heights podcast two days later. “With respect to individuals who have meant a lot for me and what has led to the career I’ve had.”

Earlier this season, Kelce broke a long-held Eagles record for most consecutive starts, but his career — in which he is widely considered to be among the greatest centers in NFL history — has not been without injuries.

In 2012, Kelce tore his MCL and suffered a partial tear to his ACL. In 2018, he played through the season with a Grade 2 MCL sprain and injuries to his foot, elbow and shoulder.

Following the Eagles’ unsuccessful Super Bowl bid against his brother, Travis Kelce, and the Kansas City Chiefs last season, he lamented in Kelce documentary, “Every logical thing is telling me I should stop playing football. I’ve got to tear my body apart.”

“It’s getting harder and harder to play,” he said at one point. “There have been little things that are not big things yet but are going to turn into big things the longer I play.”

He was also candid about his concerns as a father to three young daughters — Wyatt, 4, Elliotte, 3, and Bennett, 12 months.

“I am fearful about what the impacts of playing football are going to mean long-term,” he shared in an emotional scene with retired Eagles player Connor Barwin, “I have two girls and … some people end up getting CTE and some guys live long, healthy lives. I have no idea what’s gonna happen.”

Now, Jason Kelce stands squarely at the center of a new chapter.

In late January, Kelce told The Philadelphia Inquirer that he hoped to stay involved with the Eagles organization in some way, even if he’s not on the field.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen for me, but I do know I still want to be involved in the organization and still want to be a part of it — regardless of what the decision is,” he told the newspaper. “Because I don’t want to ever feel like I’m on the outside looking in on these achievements and these accolades and these opportunities that largely represent entire cities and fan bases and organizations.”

During his New Heights podcast earlier in January, he shared with Travis what he said to his fellow teammates following what ended up being his final game in the NFL.

“I did address the team and pretty much said, ‘I [believe] in every single one of you guys,’ ” he recalled. “‘Cherish your moments in this league.’ ”

He added, “That’s kind of the way it went down. A lot of guys [said], ‘If that’s your last game, I feel sorry for you.’ Don’t feel sorry for me, mother——-,” Jason said, and then took a moment to compose himself. “Well either way, I truly appreciated everybody in that room, and I’d go to war with them any day of the week… Enjoy the time you got.”

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…