Prince Harry latest court case set to cost whopping £38m as judge to fix 2026 trial date

Prince Harry is among a group of high-profile individuals, including Sir Elton John and his husband David Furnish, bringing legal action against the publisher of the Daily Mail.

Prince Harry Gives Evidence At The Mirror Group Newspapers Trial - Day 2

Prince Harry’s privacy case against the Mail publishers is being heard at the High Court today (Image: Getty)

Prince Harry’s High Court claim against the publisher of the Daily Mail is expected to go to trial in 2026, a High Court judge suggested this morning.

The Duke of Sussex, 40, is one of a group of high-profile individuals, including Baroness Doreen Lawrence, Sir Elton John, his husband David Furnish, actresses Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley, and politician Sir Simon Hughes, bringing legal action against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL).

They have accused the publisher of carrying out or commissioning unlawful activities such as hiring private investigators to place listening devices inside cars, “blagging” private records, burglaries to order, and accessing and recording private phone conversations.

ANL firmly denies the allegations and is defending the legal action, claiming the allegations are “lurid” and “simply preposterous”.

At a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, which was attended by Lady Lawrence, judge Mr Justice Nicklin was told that the costs of the legal claim brought by the group of individuals are budgeted for a total of more than £38million.

In written submissions, David Sherborne, for the group of individuals, said their current cost budget is £18,399,428.84, including incurred costs of £3,890,120.02.

Mr Sherborne added that ANL’s budgeted costs are £19,850,282.40, including incurred costs of £8,125,380.40.

Elsewhere in the hearing, Mr Justice Nicklin said that it was important to progress the case to an eventual trial.

He said: “My broad objective is we fix a trial date … It will probably start on January 14, 2026.”

The judge continued that the date may change and repeated that it was an “objective”.

Harry has accused the publisher of targeting him and the people closest to him by unlawfully hacking voicemails, tapping landlines, obtaining itemized phone bills and the flight information of his then-girlfriend, Chelsy Davy.

ANL had attempted to throw the case out, arguing it had been brought “far too late”.

But in a ruling last November, the judge said the public had failed to deliver a “knockout blow” to the challenges, allowing them to continue.

Harry attended the Royal Courts of Justice in London last March, when a preliminary hearing for the case was held.

His lawyers argued that those bringing legal action were “thrown off the scent” and not aware of being targeted, having believed “categorical denials” from ANL over any involvement in unlawful activity.

Sir Elton, Ms Frost and Lady Lawrence also attended the London court during the preliminary hearing.

The hearing before Mr Justice Nicklin started today and is expected to last two days.

Related Posts

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…

A NEW SUPERSTAR BORN: RYAN THOMAS’ DAUGHTER REVEALS BOLD CAREER MOVE! SS

A NEW SUPERSTAR BORN: RYAN THOMAS’ DAUGHTER REVEALS BOLD CAREER MOVE! Ryan Thomas’ daughter in huge career move as she follows in One Direction’s footsteps Ryan Thomas…

“THIS MAY BE MY LAST UPDATE…” PAULA HUDGELL’S HEART-STOPPING MESSAGE FROM HOSPITAL BED! SS

“THIS MAY BE MY LAST UPDATE…” PAULA HUDGELL’S HEART-STOPPING MESSAGE FROM HOSPITAL BED! The words stopped supporters in their tracks. From her hospital bed, Paula Hudgell — the devoted…

SOAP FANS FUMING! CORRIE & EMMERDALE CANCELLED IN SCHEDULE CHAOS! SS

SOAP FANS FUMING! CORRIE & EMMERDALE CANCELLED IN SCHEDULE CHAOS! Coronation Street and Emmerdale are to be cancelled next week – with a schedule shake-up set to leave fans furious….