Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk is OFF, will no longer go ahead on February 17

Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk is OFF.

Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk is OFF, will no longer go ahead on February 17

The blockbuster undisputed clash between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk is OFF.

Fury has suffered a cut in training that required stitches, which means his fight against Usyk will no longer go ahead on February 17.

The self-proclaimed ‘Gypsy King’ has been forced to pull out of his heavyweight showdown after sustaining a cut in sparring and there is no date for the rescheduled bout at this time.

Fury and Usyk were scheduled to meet in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in a fight to determine the undisputed world heavyweight champion.

However, it is understood that the undefeated Brit will now not be able compete this month.

Team Uysk are now working on a potential match against Filip Hrgovic, who is the current IBF mandatory challenger. The Croatian, unbeaten in 17 professional fights, steamrolled Mark de Mori on the ‘Day of Reckoning’ card last year.

Fury and Usyk were contracted for an immediate rematch after their first meeting.

But it had been confirmed that the IBF belt would be vacated immediately after their proposed February 17 bout.

As the WBC title holder is now unavailable to fight, the Ukrainian could fulfil his mandatory obligations in the interim before their undisputed showdown is rearranged this year.

Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk at the pre-fight press conference. Image: Getty
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk at the pre-fight press conference. Image: Getty

A Queensberry Promotions spokesperson said: “Whilst this is still breaking news it is clearly a massive disappointment, after the work that has been done by so many people to finally deliver this historic event to the world.

“Once the doctors have appraised Tyson’s eye, we will have a better idea of the period of recovery needed.

“Once known we will work diligently with all the stake-holders and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to reschedule this fight as soon as possible and will of course keep everyone updated with developments.”

Fury hasn’t fought since his controversial victory over former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou last October.

Uysk, meanwhile, stopped Daniel Dubois last August in his most recent outing.

Related Posts

Prince Harry’s secret visa files released – but key question remains over drug use

The conservative Heritage Foundation had campaigned to have Prince Harry’s Visa application released after he admitted to taking cocaine, marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms A US judge has…

Zara McDermott shakes off Sam Thompson dig as she ‘moves fast’ with Louis Tomlinson

Zara McDermott was recently spotted on a date with Louis Tomlinson as pals have claimed the pair are ‘moving fast’ but are ‘happy’ for them – while…

Paddy McGuinness puts lavish £6.5m home on the market as Christine ‘desperate’ to move on

Christine McGuinness is said to be feeling ‘desperate’ to start a fresh as her estranged husband Paddy McGuinness has put their former marital home up for sale…

Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex Justin Theroux’s wedding

Victoria Beckham confirmed she had a huge role in Jennifer Aniston’s ex-husband Justin Theroux’s wedding to Nicole Brydon Bloom Victoria Beckham confirms part in Jennifer Aniston’s ex…

Celebrity Big Brother star Bradley Riches joins Emmerdale in mysterious new role

Celebrity Big Brother star and Heartstopper actor Bradley Riches has joined the cast of Emmerdale in a mysterious new role, with the scenes set to debut in…

Coleen Nolan interrupts Loose Women co-star to take swipe at ex-husband

Loose Women took an awkward turn on Tuesday when Coleen Nolan made a savage Alfie Moon comment Loose Women: Coleen asks Charlene about her first child’s name…