Mercedes ‘open talks with F1 legend, 42, to replace Ferrari-bound Lewis Hamilton for 2025 season’ in shock deal

MERCEDES are pursuing Fernando Alonso to replace Lewis Hamilton, according to reports.

The Silver Arrows are set to have huge shoes to fill, with seven-time world champion Hamilton, 39, joining Ferrari next season.

Fernando Alonso is set to be a free agent at the end of the season
3

Fernando Alonso is set to be a free agent at the end of the seasonCredit: Rex

Toto Wolff is on the hunt for a Lewis Hamilton replacement
3

Toto Wolff is on the hunt for a Lewis Hamilton replacementCredit: Getty
Team principal Toto Wolff has admitted that he would love to have Max Verstappen onboard.

He said of the Red Bull star: “There is no team that wouldn’t do handstands to have him in the car.”

With Verstappen under contract until 2028, however, Wolff is likely to have to look elsewhere.

Prior to the season, the 52-year-old admitted that he will have a big decision to make whether to go with youth or experience when replacing Hamilton.

According to Bild, Mercedes could go with the latter, with Alonso in their sights.

They claim that the Spaniard, 42, has a “good chance” of ending up with Mercedes, and that the Silver Arrows are already “dealing with” Alonso.

The two-time world champion’s deal with Aston Martin is set to expire at the end of the season.

Last month, he said on his future: “If I want to keep racing beyond this year, the first and only talk at the beginning will be Aston Martin.

“I trust this project and that will be my first priority. But if we cannot reach an agreement I know that I am attractive to other teams.

“I will not stay in Formula One just to have fun. I am not that kind of person and not that kind of driver. Let’s see what the options are.”

Watch Mercedes boss Toto Wolff hilariously mock Fernando Alonso after Spaniard almost crashed into Lewis Hamilton
Alonso has not managed to secure a podium in his Aston Martin so far this season.

He came ninth in the Bahrain opener, before finishing fifth in Saudi Arabia.

Should Mercedes opt to go for youth, they could swoop for 17-year-old Andrea Kimi Antonelli.

The wonderkid is competing in Formula 2 this season for Prema Racing.


3

Related Posts

REVEALED: The “Phantom” Red Light and the Split-Second Misjudgment That Condemned Lewis Hamilton to Last Place in Las Vegas

Under the dazzling neon glow of the Las Vegas Strip, a city synonymous with high stakes and gambling, Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari took a gamble that backfired…

When Hollywood Meets Horsepower: The Day F1 Drivers Broke the World’s Biggest Stars

In the high-octane world of Formula 1, speed is a religion, and the drivers are its high priests. For the millions of fans watching from the safety…

“I Have No Explanation”: Verstappen Baffled by Piastri’s “Bizarre” Collapse as Norris Seizes Control

In the high-octane world of Formula 1, momentum is everything. It is the invisible force that turns contenders into legends and champions into forgotten footnotes. But rarely…

Hamilton’s Las Vegas Catastrophe: The Radio Meltdown, The “Invisible” Cone, and The Broken Trust That Left a Legend Dead Last

The neon lights of the Las Vegas Strip were supposed to illuminate a spectacle of speed and glamour, a crowning jewel in the 2025 Formula 1 calendar….

The $6 Billion Masterstroke: Why Toto Wolff’s Shocking Sale Is Mercedes’ Secret Weapon for 2026

In a sport defined by milliseconds and carbon fiber, the most significant moves often happen far away from the asphalt, in the quiet corners of boardrooms where…

Gavel Drops on “Crashgate”: Court Clears Way for Felipe Massa’s Explosive $64 Million Lawsuit Against F1

The Ghost of Singapore Returns It was a humid night under the dazzling floodlights of Marina Bay on September 28, 2008. Formula 1 was making history with…