George Clooney slams ‘frustrating’ coverage of Meghan Markle, compares it to treatment of Princess Diana

George Clooney slams ‘frustrating’ coverage of Meghan Markle, compares it to treatment of Princess Diana

Sarah Ferguson calls for end of toxic social media trolling pitting Kate and Meghan

Sarah Ferguson calls for end of toxic social media trolling pitting Kate and Meghan

Michael Rothman

Actor, businessman and activist George Clooney has seen enough.

Speaking on a panel for his new show, “Catch-22,” he took time out Monday to comment on the “frustrating” media coverage he’s witness lately with Meghan Markle, the now Duchess of Sussex.

Related Articles

(MORE: Sarah Ferguson calls for end to toxic social media bullying pitting Kate Middleton against Meghan Markle)

When asked about him being godfather to her upcoming child, Clooney denied the report, but added, “She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she is being pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that [Princess] Diana was, and it’s history repeating itself,” according to the Associated Press, who was at the Television Critics Association panel on Monday.

Clooney, who did attend Markel’s wedding to Prince Harry last year with his wife Amal, was referring to Diana’s death in 1997 after she was being pursued by paparazzi and her car was trying to evade them.

Clooney added about Diana’s death and the now coverage of Markle, “we’ve seen how that ends.”

She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she is being pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that (Princess) Diana was, and it’s history repeating itself.

“I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to see that,” he added, according to E! News and other outlets at the panel. “She’s getting a raw deal there. It’s irresponsible.”

Clooney’s comments come after British tabloids have labeled Markle “Duchess Difficult,” several also reporting on a private letter from her to her estranged father, as well.

Related Articles

(MORE: Meghan Markle’s friends speak out, say Duchess of Sussex is being bullied)

The actor added about being godfather to her baby, “No, I’m now a father of twins, I’ve got enough.”

Clooney is not the only public figure to speak out about what’s happening.

Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson also weighed in, sharing similar sentiments of concern, though not directly connecting the online bullying to the Duchess of Sussex and Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge. Ferguson wrote a candid letter in Hello! magazine on Monday, taking aim at what she calls the “sewer” of social media.

“It’s time to confront head on the fact that much of social media has become a sewer,” she wrote. “Women, in particular, are constantly pitted against and compared with each other in a way that reminds me of how people tried to portray Diana and me all the time as rivals, which is something neither of us ever really felt.”

Certainly there are parallels between the relationship that Kate and Meghan have and Diana and Fergie had.

“She absolutely is referring to the treatment of Meghan and Kate,” royal contributor Imogen Lloyd Webber told “GMA.” “Certainly there are parallels between the relationship that Kate and Meghan have and Diana and Fergie had.”

Also, a handful of Markle’s closest friends spoke out to People magazine recently about the “global bullying.”

“We worry about what this is doing to her and the baby,” a former co-star of Markle’s said. ”It’s wrong to put anyone under this level of emotional trauma, let alone when they’re pregnant.”

Related Posts

HEARTBREAKING: Martin & Shirlie Kemp BREAK SILENCE With Emotional Announcement About Daughter Harley Moon.k

Martin and Shirlie Kemp delight fans with adorable birthday tribute to rarely-seen daughter ‘Beauty doesn’t fall far from the tree’ Martin and Shirlie Kemp have issued a…

Joanna Lumley UNDER FIRE “Our Small Nation CANN0T Feed Millions!!” — Fans SH0CKED as National Treasure Faces Backlash Over Migration Remarks!

For half a century, Dame Joanna Lumley has been one of Britain’s most cherished figures — a woman synonymous with elegance, compassion, and the kind of quiet strength that…

GB News host Pɑtrick Christys hɑs detonɑted ɑ politicɑl firestorm ɑfter declɑring it’s now “when, not if” the Prime Minister is finɑlly pushed out ɑs Lɑbour leɑder. His blunt prediction hɑs sent Westminster into meltdown ɑnd triggered ɑ frenzy of speculɑtion ɑbout how close the end reɑlly is. The rumblings ɑre growing louder — ɑnd the pressure is unmistɑkɑble.

GB News airs humiliating 𝘒𝘦𝘪𝘳𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘮𝘦𝘳 blow as PM set to be replaced: ‘When, not if’ GB News host Patrick Christys said it is now “when, not if”…

BRITONS TAKE ACTION! New Frɑnce Footɑge Spɑrks Migrɑtion Firestorm ɑcross the Chɑnnel When ministers won’t ɑct, the public steps in — ɑnd the drɑmɑtic new clips ɑre igniting ɑ nɑtionwide debɑte overnight.

British vigilantes slash small migrant boats on French coastline Britons have been filming themselves travelling to beaches in France and ‘destroying’ small boats – gaining thousands of…

BREAKING: VERA ICON BRENDA BLETHYN LEAVES FANS STUNNED WITH SHOCK ITV COMEBACK Just when we thought the queen of crime drama was DONE… Brenda Blethyn is making a jaw-dropping return to ITV! Fans are in total disbelief as the iconic Vera star announces her surprise comeback, leaving viewers on edge. What does this mean for Vera? Is it a new chapter or the end of an era? 👉 FULL STORY & SURPRISE DETAILS IN THE COMMENTS 👇

Brenda Blethyn, the iconic face of ITV’s global smash hit Vera, has sent shockwaves through the entertainment world by revealing she almost flat-out rejected her next major role following her…

Fɑns ɑre in shock ɑs George Clɑrke is seen rushing to the hospitɑl just dɑys ɑfter supporting his mother on Strictly. Whɑt’s reɑlly going on? WATCH NOW

Strictly Come Dancing star George Clarke has been left reeling after his cancer-stricken mother Nicky suffered a sudden and terrifying health setback, just days after travelling to…