F1 boss Toto Wolff issued fiery response to Las Ve...

F1 boss Toto Wolff issued fiery response to Las Vegas mishap – ‘How dare you talk bad’

The Las Vegas Grand Prix saw Friday’s practice session ended prematurely by a loose manhole cover, which also happened in 2023, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff issuing a stern statement

View 2 Images

The Las Vegas track experienced issues in its 2023 debut but Toto Wolff issued a passionate defence of the event(Image: Getty Images)

The Las Vegas Grand Prix saw Friday’s practice halted and then curtailed by a loose manhole cover – which was a repeat of an issue that occurred two years ago when Formula 1 headed there for the first time.

On that occasion it wrecked Carlos Sainz’s weekend, but Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was ruthless in his defence of the Grand Prix in Nevada as he fired back at a journalist who questioned the event.

Friday’s problem with the manhole cover emerged at Turn 17, the final corner, around 20 minutes before the end of the session. The FIA said a marshal had seen “a possible loose manhole cover” and as a result the session was stopped.

The site was inspected and practice restarted after a 15-minute pause. The FIA claimed it believed the cover was “in a suitable condition to resume the session”. It quickly became apparent that wasn’t the case, as officials saw the cover moving as cars passed over it – which led to the session being red flagged.

The issue led to a sense of deja vu, harking back to the first Las Vegas race in 2023. Sainz’s Ferrari was wrecked by a loose manhole cover, but Wolff wasn’t having any negative press.

The Mercedes boss said: “That is not a black eye, this is nothing. We are Thursday night, we have a free practice session one that we’re not doing.

“They’re going to seal the drain covers, and nobody’s going to talk about that tomorrow morning anymore. It’s completely ridiculous, completely ridiculous.

“FP1 – how can you even dare trying to talk bad about the event that sets the new standards, new standards to everything. And then you’re speaking about a drain cover that’s been undone.

View 2 Images

Track officials inspect a manhole cover after it came loose from a car passing over it during practice (Image: 2025 Kym Illman)

“That has happened before, that’s nothing. It’s FP1. Give credit to the people that have set up this Grand Prix, that have made this sport much bigger than it ever was. Have you ever spoken good about someone and written a good word? You should about all these people that have been out here. Liberty has done an awesome job and just because in FP1 a drain cover has become undone, we shouldn’t be moaning.”

The Las Vegas Grand Prix in 2023 was the first event that the owners of F1 commercial rights, Liberty Media, has organised and promoted itself. Max Verstappen won the race on that occasion whilst last year it was George Russell who claimed victory.

The race in Nevada has copped its fair share of criticism. During its debut outing Verstappen claimed the circuit was “National League” in comparison to the “Champions League” quality of Monaco. He also took aim at the attendees, who he suggested had “come to just have a party, drink, see a performance act.”

Related Articles

Chưa phân loại 3 months ago

🚨 EMMERDALE EXIT SHOCK: Victoria Sugden Confirms She’s Leaving This Month 😱 Emmerdale fans are bracing for devastation as Victoria confirms her exit — with producers teasing a heartbreaking final storyline packed with betrayal, buried secrets… and a twist no one will see coming. 💔 “The one who kills me… is someone you’d never expect.” Chilling words that have sent shockwaves through the Dales. Is this truly goodbye — and who is hiding the darkest secret of all?

In a shocking announcement, Victoria from Emmerdale reveals her departure from the show, stating, “I’ll…

Chưa phân loại 3 months ago

🚨🔥 BRITISH WOMEN SNAP BACK: ONE TRAIN, ONE SHOUT — A NATION ERUPTS 🇬🇧💥 A packed London train. A young woman cornered by aggressive comments and unwanted advances. Then she had enough. She stood up, faced them down, and yelled what millions feel: “This is MY country — stop treating women like objects.” Laughter turned hostile. Phones came out. Tension spiked. That’s when other passengers—mostly women—closed ranks, forming a human shield and forcing the men to back off. One voice cut through the chaos: “We’re done feeling unsafe on our own transport.” The clip detonated online within hours. Millions watched. Stories poured in ⚡

British Women Rise Up: A Defiant Train Encounter Sparks a National Outcry Against Harassment and…