Duchess Sophie ‘relieved’ she no longer has to curtsy to Meghan Markle

When Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh’s rank changed she was no longer duty bound to curtsey to Meghan Markle.

Duchess Sophie and Meghan Markle riding in a carriage

Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh, no longer curtsies to Meghan Markle (Image: Getty)

Sophie, the Duchess of Edinburgh is “relieved” she no longer has to curtsy to Meghan Markle due to her change in ranking, according to reports.

Previously the Countess of Wessex, Sophie was given a new title after her husband Prince Edward was promoted to Duke of Edinburgh after Charles became King.

She was duty-bound to curtsey to the Duchess of Sussex as Meghan was a higher rank when she was a senior working royal. But a friend of the Duchess of Edinburgh told the Mail on Sunday Sophie is relieved this is no longer the case.

The source explained: “Sophie is relieved. She no longer has to curtsy to someone in the family who has not only left Royal duties but has spent the past three years criticising the institution that Sophie works so hard to support.”

Meghan Markle, as revealed in her Netflix docuseries, once believed that curtseying was a joke. The Sussexes revealed that before a meeting with the late Queen, Harry asked Meghan: ‘You know how to curtsey, right?’ Meghan told the crew: “I just thought it was a joke” before re-enacting the exaggerated curtsey she gave Queen Elizabeth II and laughing.

Meghan Markle and Duchess Sophie at Queen Elizabeth II funeral

Meghan used to be a higher ranking when Sophie was a Countess (Image: Getty)

The claims about tensions between Sophie and Meghan featured in Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait, by author and friend of the Royals Gyles Brandreth.

He writes that Meghan “made it clear” she didn’t need Sophie’s help when she became a royal and would instead rely on Prince Harry, according to the Daily Mail. 

The King made his brother Prince Edward the Duke of Edinburgh on his 59th birthday on Friday as a reward for his loyal service to the crown. King Charles also appointed his brother to the Order of the Thistle on his 60th birthday.

Prince Philip held the title of Duke of Edinburgh before his death in April 2021 – a title that was then passed on to his youngest son after he died. Edward was exceptionally close to his father and in his later years took on much of his work with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme.

Speaking of the moment that Philip asked if Edward would take on the title after his death, Sophie revealed how she felt at the moment to the Telegraph.

She told the publication: “We sat there slightly stunned. He literally came straight in and said, ‘Right. I’d like it very much if you would consider that’.”

Prince Edward and Duchess Sophie smiling together

Edward and Sophie share a smile together (Image: Getty)
 

This year, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh have stepped up to royal engagements as King Charles battles cancer and undergoes treatment. However, it has been claimed King Charles is set for a summer packed full of engagements as he wants to “make up for lost time” following his cancer diagnosis back in February and subsequent treatment.

On June 5, King Charles visited Portsmouth and the monarch gave a moving speech where he paid tribute to D-Day veterans at a commemorative event in Portsmouth for the 80th anniversary.

Addressing the crowd, the monarch said: “Today we come together to honour those nearly one hundred and sixty thousand British, Commonwealth and Allied troops who, on 5th June 1944, assembled here and along these shores to embark on the mission which would strike that blow for freedom and be recorded as the greatest amphibious operation in history..”

To help mark D-Day’s 80th anniversary, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh attended the National Memorial Arboretum on June 6 to participate in the Royal British Legion’s Service of Remembrance.

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…