‘I auditioned for MasterChef with Gregg Wallace – the BBC got what they wanted’

Gregg Wallace stepped down from MasterChef this week amid the ongoing controversy around allegations of alleged inappropriate behaviour on the BBC show

Gregg Wallace has presented MasterChef since 2005, but he wasn’t the BBC’s only choice for the role.

Before the former greengrocer, 60, who has stepped down from the show amid the ongoing controversy around allegations of inappropriate behaviour, became a household name on MasterChef, presenter Giles Coren was also up for the job.

Giles, who has presented BBC’s Amazing Hotels with MasterChef star, Monica Galetti, was called into do a screen test for the series back in 2004 alongside John Torode, who had already got the gig.

Admitting he didn’t really want to present that “c**p old show from the nineties” believing “it will never work”, Giles went along to audition anyway. However, after claiming he had zero chemistry with John, who he claimed “would stare blankly” while Giles delivered “pristine culinary witticism like something out of Oscar Wilde”, he was called a taxi home.

Giles Coren
Giles Coren was up for Gregg Wallace’s role on MasterChef 
Image:
PA Archive)

But then he saw Gregg on his way out, telling The Times: “When I was done, they called me a cab and as I sat waiting, a bald bloke with a very loud voice went through into the “studio”, shouting and laughing as he went. “Who’s that?” I asked. “That’s your competition,” they said. “He’s a greengrocer. Different sort of vibe.”

Giles continued: “The rest, of course, is … well, 20 years of melodramatically raised voices, fake jeopardy, irrelevant cooking and now poor old decent, baffled, wildly out-of-context Gregg hung out to dry by the BBC for being nothing more nor less than exactly what they were looking for. They didn’t want Oscar Wilde for John Torode’s foil in 2004, they wanted a greengrocer. And they got a greengrocer.”

MasterChef fans have called for the show to be taken off air amid the recent controversy surrounding Gregg. The dad-of-three has been accused of making “inappropriate sexual jokes” amongst other behavioural complaints. However, the presenter’s lawyer says: “It is entirely false that he engages in behaviour of a sexually harassing nature”.

On Monday, the Peckham native apologised for his remarks suggesting complaints about his conduct came from “a handful of middle-class women of a certain age”. Taking to Instagram, he said: “I want to apologise for any offence that I caused with my post yesterday and any upset I may have caused to a lot of people.

“I wasn’t in a good headspace when I posted it, I’ve been under a huge amount of stress, a lot of emotion, I felt very alone, under siege yesterday when I posted it. It’s obvious to me I need to take some time out, now while this investigation is under way. I hope you understand and I do hope you will accept this apology.”

The Mirror has contacted the BBC for comment on this story.

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…