Prince Harry ‘felt sick’ after William turned down wedding plea with four-word excuse

Prince Harry ‘felt sick’ after William turned down wedding plea with four-word excuse

As Prince Harry leaves the UK behind once more, the Mirror takes a look at the four-word excuse Prince William reportedly made when the Duke came to him with a wedding plea

Prince Harry has now left the UK following his flying visit to London – without having reunited with his brother, Prince William.

The Duke of Sussex briefly returned to his home country to attend a special service for his Invictus Games. He was joined at St. Paul’s Cathedral by close family members of his late mother, Princess Diana, including his aunt Lady Jane Fellowes, and his uncle Charles Spencer.

At the time of the service, his father, King Charles, was hosting a Buckingham Palace garden party just two miles away. Elder brother William was also absent and was at that time hosting an investiture at Windsor Castle.

The deep rift between the warring brothers shows no sign of healing anytime soon, and, according to Harry’s memoir Spare, tensions have been fraught between them long before he and wife Meghan Markle stepped back as senior working royals.

In the explosive autobiography, the duke claimed that he’d made a special request of Prince William ahead of his wedding to Meghan – only to be rejected.

Prince Harry with Prince William - the night before Harry married Meghan Markle
Prince Harry with Prince William – the night before Harry married Meghan Markle 
Image:
Getty Images)
On May 19, 2018, Harry and Meghan couldn’t have looked more joyful as they tied the knot in a fairytale wedding at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. William was the picture of brotherly support, standing by Harry’s side as he welcomed his stylish American bride down the aisle.

It was apparently a very different story behind the scenes however, and Harry has since revealed he was left ‘feeling sick’ following a tense chat with William the night before his sunny springtime nuptials.

In Spare, Harry recalls having drinks with friends at Coworth Park Hotel, where he stayed the night before his big day at Windsor Castle. He claimed William, who had just become a dad for the third time, had been due to join them but he cancelled at the ‘last minute’ citing ‘Kate and the kids’.

He then goes on to say that he reminded William that it was their tradition as the night before the now Prince of Wales’s wedding, the pair had dinner together ahead of greeting the crowds. Harry claims William then asked: “Why are you even saying hello to the crowds, Harold?” To which Harry in response admitted in the book: “I felt sick about it.”

However, Harry did concede that William eventually changed his mind about greeting the crowds and did agree to join his brother, as the Duke of Sussex wondered: “Maybe Granny intervened”.

Harry says he pressed William about having dinner together and staying the night – and eventually, he relented and agreed to dinner, but wouldn’t be staying over, reportedly telling his brother: “Sorry, Harold. Can’t. Kids.”

The duke did not see his father or William during his London visit this week. Ahead of the Invcitus Games service, a spokesperson for Prince Harry said: “In response to the many inquiries and continued speculation on whether or not The Duke will meet with his father while in the UK this week, it unfortunately will not be possible due to His Majesty’s full program. The Duke of course is understanding of his father’s diary of commitments and various other priorities and hopes to see him soon.”

The two brothers on Harry's wedding day
The two brothers on Harry’s wedding day 
Image:
AFP/Getty Images)
This comes after a royal expert suggested Prince Harry had chosen to wear his KCVO Neck Order and Star in order to send a message to the absent King Charles and Prince William. The KCVO Neck Order and Star are awards given for services to the monarchy, which fall under the Royal Victorian Order – a distinguished order of knighthood.

Speaking exclusively with the Mirror, royal author Tom Quinn speculated that this decision was a symbolic gesture on Harry’s part – signifying the valuable contributions he has made to the monarchy.

Tom commented: “Harry was seen wearing his Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order medal at St Paul’s Cathedral for the Invictus service. The medal was given to Harry in 2015 by his late grandmother Elizabeth II for ‘services to the monarchy’.”

He continued: “Wearing this was Harry’s way of reminding his family that his grandmother valued his contribution, even if his father and brother do not. Wearing the KCVO neck and star was also Harry’s way of pointing out that he’s not the bad boy he’s portrayed as being by his father and brother.”

Related Posts

‘It’s an absolute nightmare…’: Strictly star is ARRESTED on suspicion of rɑρing a woman after a BBC event — insiders say the scandal has left bosses ‘heartbroken’ as the hit show faces yet another crisis… a major police investigation engulfs the show

Strictly Come Dancing star arrested on suspicion of rape A Strictly Come Dancing star has reportedly been arrested on suspicion of rape. A man, who cannot be named for…

Unexpected High Notes Make Sydnie Christmas a Showstopper at the London Palladium, Leaving Fans Breathless

Britain’s Got Talent winner Sydnie Christmas delivered a show-stopping performance at Magic Radio’s West End Christmas at the London Palladium on Saturday, November 15, 2025. Fans and…

Prince William Is Moved to Tears by Princess Charlotte and Andrea Bocelli’s Duet, “This Is for You, Daddy.” When 10-Year-Old Princess Charlotte Entered Windsor Castle’s Illuminated Garden on Prince William’s 43rd Birthday, What Started Out as a Straightforward Birthday Celebration Became an Iconic Royal Moment. Dressed in a Pale Blue Gown, She Whispered Four Words — “For You, Daddy” — Before Joining Andrea Bocelli in a Breathtaking Duet of “The Prayer.”

“For You, Daddy” — Princess Charlotte and Andrea Bocelli’s Candlelit Duet Leaves Prince William in Tears   It was meant to be a simple birthday tribute. But…

Emmerdale’s early ITVX drop finally delivers the moment fans begged for: Kim Tate stepping straight into Celia’s empire with a threat she won’t forget. The queen of Home Farm is DONE playing nice

Emmerdale’s early-released episode for Friday November 21 has given fans the showdown they’ve been waiting for – as Celia Daniels comes face to face with Kim Tate….

Heartbreaking Admission Revealed: Jane McDonald on the Health Crisis That Broke Her — and the Painful Reason She Will Never Have Children

Years later, after rebuilding her life piece by piece, fate brought Jane back to someone from her past: Eddie Rothe, her teenage boyfriend and the drummer for…

Jason Bateman and Jude Law’s Explosive “Bad Bromance” in Netflix’s Black Rabbit

“I DON’T TRUST YOU—BUT I CAN’T LET YOU GO.” That chilling line sets the tone for Black Rabbit, Netflix’s brand-new crime thriller that has already been branded one…