Emotional Prince William says King Charles and Kate’s cancer struggles was ‘hardest year of my life’

Prince William has revealed that the past year has an annus horribilis as he supported both his wife Kate and father, King Charles, in their fights against cancer

Prince William has opened up about the King and Princess of Wales being diagnosed with cancer, describing the year as “the hardest in my life”.

In a searingly honest interview during a solo visit to South Africa, William also spoke of his pride in his father Charles, 74, and his wife Kate, 42, for the bravery they have shown throughout their ordeal. The future king said of his annus horribilis – which is Latin for terrible year: “Honestly? It’s been dreadful. It’s probably been the hardest year in my life.

“So, trying to get through everything else and keep everything on track has been really difficult. But I’m so proud of my wife, I’m proud of my father, for handling the things that they have done. But from a personal family point of view, it’s been brutal.”

William with model Winnie Harlow in Cape Town
William with model Winnie Harlow in Cape Town 
Image:
PA)
The late Queen branded 1992 an annus horribilis after the royal family suffered a series of setbacks including a fire at Windsor Castle. This year, Charles went to hospital with an enlarged prostate, spending three nights at The London Clinic in January, while Kate spent nearly two weeks there after abdominal surgery. Buckingham Palace announced on February 5 the monarch had a form of cancer, while the princess was diagnosed just days later, although she did not share the news until late March.

William took a leave of absence to care for Kate and their children but announced his return to royal life on foreign soil this week
with the culmination of the 2024 Earthshot Prize awards at a ­glittering ceremony in Cape Town. The prince heralded the success of the fourth instalment of his global environmental awards – giving five £1million prizes each year over a decade for solutions to the most pressing climate issues, as well as taking the phenomenon to Africa for the first time.

William, 42, met inspiring young people from townships who are using sport to lift themselves from poverty, entrepreneurs, environmentalists and the South African president Cyril Ramaphosa. He also joined supermodels Heidi Klum and Winnie Harlow – who presented awards – on a boat tour of the picturesque fishing village of Kalk Bay.

With local fishermen in Kalk Bay
With local fishermen in Kalk Bay 
Image:
Andrew Parsons / Kensington Palace)
Royal aides said the trip was evidence of William emerging into a new era of statesmanship after being in the role of the Prince of Wales for the last two years since his father became King. There is no doubt William has entered a new phase, from the causes he has taken on to his ambitions for the future.

In the last year he has also launched Homewards, an ambitious five-year project to tackle homelessness. Such projects – and his wife Kate’s crusade to highlight the importance of early years development in children – appear to now be the bedrock of their future.

William and Kate in their famous cancer video
William and Kate in their famous cancer video
Asked whether he was enjoying the responsibility and the freedom in his new role, he said: “It’s a tricky one. Do I like more responsibility? No. Do I like the freedom that I can build something like Earthshot, then yes. And that’s the future for me. It’s very important with my role and my platform, that I’m doing something for good.

“That I’m helping people’s lives and I’m doing something that is genuinely meaningful. So, the Earthshot is a culmination if you like all that put together. But it takes a lot of work; meetings, people coming in, a lot of chatting and phone calls, letters, all trying to sort of make the Earthshot get to being the best possible entity it can be.”

The Prince met locals in Cape Town
The Prince met locals in Cape Town 
Image:
Andrew Parsons / Kensington Palace)

William admitted his duties had been a place of solace amid such testing times. Although appearing to be relaxed this week, he said he had struggled with the balance of home and work life. He revealed: “I couldn’t be less relaxed this year. It’s more a case of just crack on and you’ve got to keep going. I enjoy my work and I enjoy pacing myself and keeping sure that I have got time for my family too.”

In Cape Town, William spoke of his love for the country and his desire to bring his children George, 11, ­Charlotte, nine and Louis, five, to Africa with him in the near future. He also revealed he had upset his daughter so much with his recent beard he was forced to take drastic action. William said: “Well Charlotte didn’t like it the first time. I got floods of tears, so I had to shave it off. And then I grew it back. I convinced her it was going to be OK.”

William, who returned home last night, staged the ceremony in a purpose-built reusable eco-dome in Cape Town. It started with an “emotional” live broadcast of The Circle of Life from the Lion King.

Speaking after meeting William, model Heidi said: “He has been so amazing, so welcoming to all of us.” Fellow model Winnie said William’s work reminded her of his late mother Diana. She said: “It was beautiful to see him following in her footsteps.”

Related Posts

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! The silence is finally SHATTERED! As the explosive hearings for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” kick off in London, a terrifying truth is emerging. For years, the screams of victims were ignored, and the truth was buried deep within expensive, hidden court files. But now, the curtain is being ripped wide open, and some very powerful people are SHAKING! Why has the truth been kept behind a “paywall” for so long? Why were public authorities allowed to turn a blind eye while innocent lives were destroyed? Rupert Lowe is making a move that the establishment DREADS: he’s demanding that EVERY court transcript be made FREE for the public! Is the system hiding evidence of its own massive failures? This isn’t just an inquiry; it’s a war for justice that the “Über Elite” never wanted you to join. THEY CAN NO LONGER HIDE. Sign the urgent petition and click the link below to see the chilling testimonies they tried to suppress for decades!

EMERGENCY: THE DARKEST SECRETS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM ARE ABOUT TO BE UNLEASHED! Hearings Begin for Rupert Lowe’s “Rape Gang Inquiry” in London as Public Petition Gains…

JUST WANT TO LIVE…” — Bob Mortimer Has Moved Fans To Tears With A Raw, Quietly Brave Confession About Life After His Triple Heart Bypass, Admitting He’s Gently Defying Doctors’ Orders Because Fear Has Already Taken Enough From Him. Speaking With Heartbreaking Honesty, Bob Revealed The Nights Filled With Anxiety, The Moments He Cried Alone, And The Decision That Changed Everything: “I Realised I Didn’t Want To Survive — I Wanted To Live.” Rather Than Letting Worry Steal The Time He Has Left, He’s Choosing Joy, Laughter, And Meaning Wherever He Can Find It. Fans Say His Words Feel Less Like An Interview And More Like A Farewell Letter — Tender, Human, And Devastatingly Real — A Reminder That Even Comedy’s Brightest Souls Carry Quiet Battles The World Never Sees.

Bob Mortimer has made a brutally honest confession about life after his emergency triple heart bypass — and it’s left fans both shocked and strangely moved The 66-year-old comedian,…

Unraveled by Chaos: 41 Hotels Set Ablaze Amidst UK’s Explosive Anti-Migrant Riots—Is Britain’s Immigration Strategy Crumbling Under the Weight of Public Fury and Political Division? Discover the Unfolding Crisis Fueling Fear and Unrest Across the Nation!

Breaking news: In an unprecedented surge of violence across the UK, 41 hotels housing migrants have erupted in flames amid escalating anti-migrant riots. Chaotic clashes between masked…

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE SS

TEN MILLION POUNDS AND OUT ANT MCPARTLIN TURNS HIS BACK ON LONDON LIFE Ant McPartlin has declared: ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!’ as he quits…

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! SS

THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM: MAL’S D.E.A.D.L.Y OBSESSION PUSHES DEV TO THE EDGE! Bernie was left rattled in tonight’s Coronation Street (Friday, January 30) as she pleaded with Mal…

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! SS

THE END OF AN ERA ON THE COBBLES: ALAN HALSALL BREAKS HIS SILENCE! Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall responds as co-star’s exit for new role confirmed The actor…